• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support held in abeyance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlairR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

My ex got temporary full custody 8 months ago. The court order stated that child support would be held in abeyance. I began paying a small amount of child support several months ago without knowing how much or how often I was to pay child support. A judge nor my lawyer informed me of a specific amount of child support I was to pay. We never went back to court. I was going to petition the court for joint custody last month, but my ex had petioles the court before I had the chance to. He was asking for almost $400/month for child support. My lawyer told me that I would not be allowed to ask for a change in custody at that time because I was considering in default of the court due to child support. I was floored. No one said a word to me about the. Hold support being held in abeyance had changed. I was pay about $150/month because it was all I could afford at the time and I knew it was the right thing to do. I want to spend more time with my child and I do not want my time limited to 4 overnights a month. Is this right? I feel as though I'm being forced to see my child for this small amount of time and pay a certain amount of money just because my ex will not let me spend more time with my child. Is there some error on the courts part? I thought we would go back to court and child support would be discussed at the final hearing as well as a change in custody. But now we are ordered to go to mediation and a guardian ad litem. Anyone have any advice?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would advise you to listen to your attorney. None of us should be second-guessing him/her. If you don't trust the advice of your attorney, then I would suggest you hire a new one.

BlairR

I feel as though my lawyer does not really care about my case. He's working on my case pro bono and does not really communicate with me. For example, I went to court on September 3rd this past month and was ordered to go to mediation in 60 days. It's almost been a month and I haven't heard a word from my lawyer. I do not even have a copy of the recent court order. From the time the father of our son was awarded temporary full custody (April of this year) until August I was not told anything by my lawyer or the court I was to start paying child support or how much. I feel like I was blind sided because I thought I would go back to court to resolve the matter of child support, not told I was in default of the court for not paying child support when the last court order I received told me child support is to be held in abeyance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well... Your lawyer likely has cases what s/he is getting paid for that are more important as a result. That shouldn't be a shock.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">