• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

svdlfns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I am on Social Security Disability. Our parenting plan gives the father 65% and me the rest during the school year, 50/50 during the summer. At the time the support order was set in 2001, I had a good job and had to pay the father $150/mo. Have been on Disability for about five years now and the benefits for my child are sent directly to his father ($498.00). The support order is still in effect and when I contacted Wa State Child support enforcement they told me that the father has to send the monies above and beyond the support order amount to me. After over a year of trying to get father to cooperate with Child Support Enforcement he terminated the case with them. My son is 16 now and I'm doing the best I can on my $900/mo but his father is not helping as far as buying clothes, shoes, school supplies, or medical. This has become a source of shame for my son and it breaks my heart. I'm happy to pay the $150 but years of over payment has brought me to the breaking point. How do I fix this issue?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

svdlfns

Thanks, Geekness....but CSE won't help me without his cooperation. Since he doesn't want to lose all the extra money he's getting, he won't talk to them and ignored their requests for a couple years before closing the case.

CSO286

Thanks, Geekness....but CSE won't help me without his cooperation. Since he doesn't want to lose all the extra money he's getting, he won't talk to them and ignored their requests for a couple years before closing the case.
Doesn't work like that. If we waited until we the cooperation of BOTH parties to get some child support orders, there'd be some cases that never had orders.

You go, and apply for services. In some states there's a fee for non-public assistance applicants, usually less than $50.

There is a WA expert around here. I'm sure she'll be along.

BL

Although a court or CSE may instruct a parent to give another parent a portion of the Dependant's benefits ,SSA will not enforce it , nor will they split it up.

As was asked ,have you ever petitioned to modify the CS order after you became disabled?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">