• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support holding money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex husband and I got divorced about 4 years ago when our daughter was only 3-4 months old. The court (written in the divorce decree) ordered him to pay child support and he is great about it and never missed a payment. This time he has paid but all of the sudden child support is saying there wasn't an order in place or maybe they just didn't notice it and they are updating their system. In the mean time they are keeping the money he paid till it gets sorted out. They said if everything goes perfect the soonest I'll get it early next month. Is this legal? How can they keep the money? I need it to buy food and I'm having to consider getting a title loan just to not starve. I would seriously be in debt if I did this and next month after paying the loan back I'd struggle to even buy necessities. Is there anything my lawyer from 4 years ago can help move this along?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex husband and I got divorced about 4 years ago when our daughter was only 3-4 months old. The court (written in the divorce decree) ordered him to pay child support and he is great about it and never missed a payment. This time he has paid but all of the sudden child support is saying there wasn't an order in place or maybe they just didn't notice it and they are updating their system. In the mean time they are keeping the money he paid till it gets sorted out. They said if everything goes perfect the soonest I'll get it early next month. Is this legal? How can they keep the money? I need it to buy food and I'm having to consider getting a title loan just to not starve. I would seriously be in debt if I did this and next month after paying the loan back I'd struggle to even buy necessities. Is there anything my lawyer from 4 years ago can help move this along?
You're not going to get things faster than "early next month" even with an attorney. And an attorney would expect to be paid, so you'd be out even more money.

I would suggest that you need to restructure your budget so that your reliance on child support is minimal.

If your at risk of starving over having to wait another 2 weeks to get a support check not seeing how the attorney is an option, an attorney would likely cost more than food. Taking a couple of weeks to sort out confusion over paperwork is pretty reasonable. Look into earning more money or spending less and saving something, you can't always count on the party 100% of the time, they could loose a job, become disabled, or die in a car accident any day.

Heather2

It takes a little help supporting a child sometimes. I don't make a lot of money and I had no warning that they were going to hold the money. Her father paid it and in 4 years this has never happened. How should I anticipate I wouldn't be able to count on it?

Proserpina

It takes a little help supporting a child sometimes. I don't make a lot of money and I had no warning that they were going to hold the money. Her father paid it and in 4 years this has never happened. How should I anticipate I wouldn't be able to count on it?
You adjust your spending so that you don't depend on it to survive. Come on now, you've obviously been here long enough to know the answer to that.

Zigner

As was mentioned above...what if dad loses his job? Or, what if he is in an accident and unable to work? What if dad meets a hot new sugar-momma and runs off to some Caribbean island, never to be seen again? There are tons of reasons to make sure that your reliance on the money isn't total.

Heather2

I relied on it because he PAID it. **** happens. I don't struggle every month. I had repairs to my car done so this month I do need it more than any others. I get it...you all think I'm irresponsible. Other than budget my money better I can see you all have nothing better to offer. Well thanks for your advice anyway.

Zigner

I relied on it because he PAID it. **** happens. I don't struggle every month. I had repairs to my car done so this month I do need it more than any others. I get it...you all think I'm irresponsible. Other than budget my money better I can see you all have nothing better to offer. Well thanks for your advice anyway.
Hysterical much?

I took great pains to avoid even implying that I thought you were irresponsible.

Heather2

How is that acting hysterical lol. I can see this forum is still full of the same no nothing people. I don't know why I bothered giving it a try again. At least IAAL was funny jerk but he at least offered legal advice. Good day to you all 😁

Silverplum

How is that acting hysterical lol. I can see this forum is still full of the same no nothing people. I don't know why I bothered giving it a try again. At least IAAL was funny jerk but he at least offered legal advice. Good day to you all 
Always a pleasure, dealing with the general public.

Just Blue

How is that acting hysterical lol. I can see this forum is still full of the same no nothing people. I don't know why I bothered giving it a try again. At least IAAL was funny jerk but he at least offered legal advice. Good day to you all 
You want some IAAL?

Okay...

Pull your head out of your Trailer Park life and understand that living "check to check" is doomed. Even in dumba$$ states such as yours they get that...Why don't you?

THAT is something IAAL would have said...AND he would have put your thread up in the contest. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">