• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in IA and IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessica_widger

My buddy's wife (who left him months ago) is now getting ahold of him trying to get his information to collect child support. The child in question is not his. Can she legally do that? (she lives in IA, he lives in IL; she also refuses to get a job, and he has a slight mental disability and physical disability, though I don't know if the disabilities are recognized or not)

Silverplum

My buddy's wife (who left him months ago) is now getting ahold of him trying to get his information to collect child support. The child in question is not his. Can she legally do that? (she lives in IA, he lives in IL; she also refuses to get a job, and he has a slight mental disability and physical disability, though I don't know if the disabilities are recognized or not)
We do not like to deal with 3rd parties: they never have all the necessary info, and it's not their business anyway.

If he wishes, he can sign up here and ask his questions. :)

Proserpina

Given that OP is claiming he's mentally disabled, I'll give the third party the benefit of the doubt and ask a question.

Was this child born during the marriage?

Is he the LEGAL father? (biology doesn't always matter)

mistoffolees

Let's cut to the chase. Have your buddy sign up with his own account and ask his own questions. He will know the answers to important questions.

In short, though, she can not simply collect child support. She has to go through appropriate legal procedures - and he will have a chance to defend himself. Beyond that, we need to know the facts directly from him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">