• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support if child is pregnant and quits school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alouette99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
My daughter lives in Maine with her mother. I live in Massachusetts. I pay child support to Massachusetts since they came from here and never had it transferred.

My daughter is 16. She is 4 1/2 months pregnant and quit school. Am I still obligated to pay?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
My daughter lives in Maine with her mother. I live in Massachusetts. I pay child support to Massachusetts since they came from here and never had it transferred.

My daughter is 16. She is 4 1/2 months pregnant and quit school. Am I still obligated to pay?
Yes. You still are financially responsible for your child until she is 18.

nextwife

Why was she allowed to "quit school"? At 16, she is no way financially capable of providing sufficient income to support herself alone, much less herself and her child.

Do you have joint legal custody? Did you agree she could "quit school"? WE taxpayers don't need your daughter creating a double taxpayer burden because she's uneducated, unable to earn a slighlty sustainable income and can't contribute toward the support of the child she created.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Why was she allowed to "quit school"? At 16, she is no way financially capable of providing sufficient income to support herself alone, much less herself and her child.

Do you have joint legal custody? Did you agree she could "quit school"? WE taxpayers don't need your daughter creating a double taxpayer burden because she's uneducated, unable to earn a slighlty sustainable income and can't contribute toward the support of the child she created.
I was going to suggest that OP file for a change in custody based on the COC, (daughters pregnancy and mother allowing child to quit school), but he seems more concerned with ending his financial obligation than daughters future...:(

nextwife

I was going to suggest that OP file for a change in custody based on the COC, (daughters pregnancy and mother allowing child to quit school), but he seems more concerned with ending his financial obligation than daughters future...:(
Yeah, but since it seems NEITHER parent seems to care about their child and grandchild being a drain on society (because this 16 year old is not sufficiently educated enough to be a fully self supportive, productive, tax paying member of society and able to fully share the cost of supporting her child) SOME OF US need to raise this obvious question.

WHY is this child being allowed to quit school!!!!!!!!! She will not only will need to support herself in the not too distant future, she will also have a child to co-support. Quiting school is an idiotic "plan"in our non-tribal society.

LdiJ

Yeah, but since it seems NEITHER parent seems to care about their child and grandchild being a drain on society (because this 16 year old is not sufficiently educated enough to be a fully self supportive, productive, tax paying member of society and able to fully share the cost of supporting her child) SOME OF US need to raise this obvious question.

WHY is this child being allowed to quit school!!!!!!!!! She will not only will need to support herself in the not too distant future, she will also have a child to co-support. Quiting school is an idiotic "plan"in our non-tribal society.
Well, we don't know for certain that the child has actually "quit" school. It may simply be the plan that she sits out a semester...or that she will finish high school via a non traditional method (because daycare is expensive) or that she will go for a GED and go on to college or tech school.

We cannot assume that because someone is withdrawing from traditional high school that it isn't temporary or that the child won't finish their education in an alternative manner. There are huge numbers of alternative methods available today. There are even many accredited online programs to finish high school. (and some that are somewhat of scams, so people need to be choosy and do their "due diligence" before enrolling in a online program).

I have a friend whose child graduated from high school via an online program at 16, and was enrolled in college at 17, and will be finishing college next year.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, we don't know for certain that the child has actually "quit" school. It may simply be the plan that she sits out a semester...or that she will finish high school via a non traditional method (because daycare is expensive) or that she will go for a GED and go on to college or tech school.

We cannot assume that because someone is withdrawing from traditional high school that it isn't temporary or that the child won't finish their education in an alternative manner. There are huge numbers of alternative methods available today. There are even many accredited online programs to finish high school. (and some that are somewhat of scams, so people need to be choosy and do their "due diligence" before enrolling in a online program).

I have a friend whose child graduated from high school via an online program at 16, and was enrolled in college at 17, and will be finishing college next year.
SHE QUIT SCHOOL per OP. She is no longer attending. What guarantee do you have that she is going to return? The point is, she could be in school. She could be continuing her education until the baby is born. She is NOT.

LdiJ

SHE QUIT SCHOOL per OP. She is no longer attending. What guarantee do you have that she is going to return? The point is, she could be in school. She could be continuing her education until the baby is born. She is NOT.
My point was we don't know that she has completely quit school. We are merely assuming that based on the limited information provided by the OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">