• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dangonzalez76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My oldest son just graduated high school and is 18. I was thinking about reducing child support. Would I have to hire a lawyer to do that? If so, I will just wait until my middle son graduates next year. Is there another way to reduce child support?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My oldest son just graduated high school and is 18. I was thinking about reducing child support. Would I have to hire a lawyer to do that? If so, I will just wait until my middle son graduates next year. Is there another way to reduce child support?
A little food for thought...How long has it been since your child support was calculated and has your income increased since then? If your income has increased then you want to be careful about filing for any modification based on one of your children aging out. When you file for modification your child support is recalculated from scratch and that has caused some parent's support to actually go up rather than down.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Since Illinois is a percentage of income from the NCP, do the calculations to see if you would be saving any funds as a cost benefit. Would the amount you pay an attorney to lower (presumably lower but see ldij's post) cost more than the savings?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">