• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KayW

Tennessee, I applied for a increase in Child Support and have just been told by the Dept of HS that I am eligible to get an increase of $160 more a month. Now, the ex has talked my son in wanting to live with him and gain custody. I cannot afford a Attorney, he can and is meeting with his Attorney to do this.
If this goes to Court, since the increase has requested and a amount given, will I be able to show the court this if I am representing myself? My son is 15 yrs old, (with his Dad, no discpline, or structure. He has also not provided his tax returns in the four years that the parenting plan has been in effect. Is this in contempt? Please advise. Thanks

LdiJ

KayW said:
Tennessee, I applied for a increase in Child Support and have just been told by the Dept of HS that I am eligible to get an increase of $160 more a month. Now, the ex has talked my son in wanting to live with him and gain custody. I cannot afford a Attorney, he can and is meeting with his Attorney to do this.
If this goes to Court, since the increase has requested and a amount given, will I be able to show the court this if I am representing myself? My son is 15 yrs old, (with his Dad, no discpline, or structure. He has also not provided his tax returns in the four years that the parenting plan has been in effect. Is this in contempt? Please advise. Thanks
You can certainly provide the court the documentation to show that dad's custody petition directly followed a child support increase. That certainly won't help dad's case. You can also make your arguments regarding discipline and structure.

However...it really would be in your best interest to get an attorney if dad proceeds with this.

GrowUp!

KayW said:
My son is 15 yrs old, (with his Dad, no discpline, or structure.
both OPINIONS on your part. Unless you are able to prove it and how it is not in the best interest of the child and has caused specific problems, etc, then it's irrelevant. Plus, the child's age *could* be a factor in the child residing with the other parent if an interest is expressed.

He has also not provided his tax returns in the four years that the parenting plan has been in effect. Is this in contempt? Please advise. Thanks
Who says he has to? Until any modification of child support is due, it's none of your business how much he makes.

KayW

Parenting Plan states he has to provide a copy of his taxes. Also states everything except child support has to go thru mededation process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">