• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support increase, primary parent not working, schooling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aknepper

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am in the middle of an increase for child support. I as the father have primary custody. I use to work and then opened my own business and the closed that to go for more schooling. The Registry is asking me to show an income even though I am in school fulltime. I am going to improve my education so I may better my life for the kids. I dont mind stating I am making minumum wage even though I do not but not show me making 2000 a month when I dont. the ex is making about 26 an hour and has not seen the kids in two years and does not even call.

What is the standard on the recieving child support side if the reciever is not working and is in school. Is 2000 a month reported alittle steep?

Thank you in advance

Gracie3787

aknepper said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am in the middle of an increase for child support. I as the father have primary custody. I use to work and then opened my own business and the closed that to go for more schooling. The Registry is asking me to show an income even though I am in school fulltime. I am going to improve my education so I may better my life for the kids. I dont mind stating I am making minumum wage even though I do not but not show me making 2000 a month when I dont. the ex is making about 26 an hour and has not seen the kids in two years and does not even call.

What is the standard on the recieving child support side if the reciever is not working and is in school. Is 2000 a month reported alittle steep?

Thank you in advance
Who is supporting you? Whoevere it is, why can't you just state- "I am in school full time, I have no earned income, however____________ gives me ______ amount of money to pay expenses" ?

aknepper

My wife is working fulltime. We both have children. I have 2 daughters and she has 3 daughters. They all live with us. This is how I am able to go back to school for more education.

Gracie3787

aknepper said:
My wife is working fulltime. We both have children. I have 2 daughters and she has 3 daughters. They all live with us. This is how I am able to go back to school for more education.

You should report exactly what you stated here. The court may impute min. wage to you or even your previous wage in order to determine support amount. Courts usually consider going to school as a voluntary decrease in income. They also may ask for proof of your wife's income, which normally wouldn't have any bearing, however, since her's is also YOUR sole source of income, they may ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">