• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Information Needed....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jake32

Hi i am 18 years old from California and i live with my parents and i am a dependent on them. I have a 1 year old son, my ex girlfriend and i have never married and she has threatened to file child support which she most likely will do. I have supported my son financially for the past year but do not have any receipts showing proof of this. Which means she could file for back child support? Also i am a freshman in college taking 16 units and i have a part time job that roughly pays about $250 a month. If she takes me to court does the judge have the power to order me to be employed full time? and do i have to be employed full time if my ex files child support. If the judge does order this then i would not be able to continue with school full time and would most likely have to quit. My ex has no monthly income and is a full dependent of her parents also. Doesnt this mean i have to pay the majority of what he needs? and if so how much would i have to pay? If anyone can help answer any of my questions, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. bye.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She likely wouldn't get support back to birth, but would from the filing date. Quite likely, you'd be imputed an income of at least minimum wage for support purposes. She may also. Yes, you may have to either go to school part-time or quit to support your child, unless you can convince your parents to pay your support until you graduate. That is a consequence to having a child. Welcome to parenthood.

rmet4nzkx

Even though you may have no receipts you may be able to establish some of what you have paid. Without all the facts no one can tell you how a judge will rule even with the facts. More than likely since you are now a legal adult she will file for child support. First you will want to file to establish paternity unless that has already been done, this will involve a DNA test. Then the judge will make a finding on that and then child support will be decided and you can also file for some form of custody and visitation, you will not automatically get anything besides the child support obligation unless you file. It is possible that if you two share the custody of the child 50/50 there may be little or no child support. Most likely, child support will be due once paternity is established or when the petition for child support in made. It is important to remember that there are several issues child support, custody and visitation, and your rights. The two of you will have to cooporate re your child for at least the next 17 years, I hope that you have been able to develop a relationship with your child.

Phnx02

Ditto what stealth said.....this is what happens when you have a child so young and are not yet financially stable or even independant. It's sad and unfortunate....but you may have to hold off on school, or at least cut down your hours, so you can work more to support your son. This kind of thing happens to young women more than men, they cannot go on to college even if they wanted to because they can't afford it....

VeronicaGia

Any idea if she is collecting AFDC or any other form of state aid? If she is, you'll be required to repay the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">