• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and insemination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misterpersonsir

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

My girlfriend and I have been together for several years, we are both in our early thirties. She has recently found out that she has a health condition that will cause conception to be very difficult for her. She has requested that I provide her with a sample of semen so that she can have an artificial insemination performed on her. I provided her with a sample since I did not want to rob her of what may be her last opportunity to be a mother.

My question is... If she does become pregnant and, God forbid, things don't work out between us will I still be forced to pay child support? Will the fact that the pregnancy was induced by artificial insemination which was a request from her save me?

Thank you.

Silverplum

My girlfriend and I have been together for several years, we are both in our early thirties. She has recently found out that she has a health condition that will cause conception to be very difficult for her. She has requested that I provide her with a sample of semen so that she can have an artificial insemination performed on her. I provided her with a sample since I did not want to rob her of what may be her last opportunity to be a mother.

My question is... If she does become pregnant and, God forbid, things don't work out between us will I still be forced to pay child support? Will the fact that the pregnancy was induced by artificial insemination which was a request from her save me?

Thank you.
Yes, you will pay child support.

Tell her to go to a sperm bank and have her wishes fulfilled that way.

Eekamouse

Wait. You think that because you wouldn't be impregnating her the old fashioned way that it would somehow exempt you from paying child support later if things don't work out? Are you kidding me?

LdiJ

Thank you.
Not in any way, shape or form. On top of that, are you actually prepared to have no contact with a child that you fathered?...because even IF it was remotely possible, then that would mean that legally you would not be the father and would have zero rights. So, if there is a child, and you break up 10 years from now, after being daddy all that time, then if what you want was even remotely possible, then you would be severed from that child's life entirely.

Right now you are thinking about a baby in the abstract, but I can just about guarantee that once that baby is born, that you would not be able to contemplate being completely severed from that child...and can you imagine how a 9 or 10 year old child would feel knowing that their daddy didn't want them?

single317dad

She has requested that I provide her with a sample of semen so that she can have an artificial insemination performed on her. I provided her with a sample since I did not want to rob her of what may be her last opportunity to be a mother.
You have provided this person with the keys to your present and future bank account for at least the next 20 years (maybe longer). I don't know the laws on who owns what when it comes to sperm samples, but there's at least some chance you can't take it back now that it's given. If she's the rightful owner, she could impregnate herself at any time in the foreseeable future, and you'd have a difficult (but maybe winnable) case against you for support.

Imagine 20 years from now: you're successful, at the top of your field, and forgot about this girlfriend many years ago. Then one day you're served court papers from one of the east coast states where support continues until age 21 and she's asking for post-secondary education expenses as well. Can you imagine not only paying support, but still paying it 45 years from today? That's the possibility that you've opened up here.

It's not the most likely scenario, but it is possible.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Thank you.
Nothing to add - just smh...

torimac

There are cases where sperm has been ruled a 'gift' and cases where it was ruled theft. I am willing to bet this would be ruled a gift as he voluntarily gave it to her and not in the 'traditional' method.
Really, if she is ready to become a mother, she should go to a sperm bank. If she can't come up with the $500-1000 to have the procedure, she needs to rethink single parenthood.

Neal1421

This may sound like a silly question, but are you still having sex with your girlfriend? If so, even if you did go with your logic and because you 'gave her sperm' that you shouldn't be responsible for the child, it could be argued that the child was conceived naturally and therefore not a gift as the previous poster stated.

Bottom line is though, if you and your girlfriend want different things, it might be time to find a new girlfriend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">