• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r21tn34

What is the name of your state? TX

I currently live out of state and pay for my child's health insurance. If the mother keeps sending my child to a doctor that is not acceptable by our insurance even though she has plenty of choices am I responsible? I don't understand why we can not agree upon a physician that her insurance covers.

Thanks

Silverplum

r21tn34 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I currently live out of state and pay for my child's health insurance. If the mother keeps sending my child to a doctor that is not acceptable by our insurance even though she has plenty of choices am I responsible? I don't understand why we can not agree upon a physician that her insurance covers.

Thanks
Are you court-ordered to provide insurance? What exactly does your CO state on that topic?

r21tn34

insurance

My work was not able to provide me with an insurance plan so the mother said she wanted to keep her on her current insurance. She has been on her current plan for several years. I pay approx $200 a month additional to the child support for her insurance needs. The Court ordered me to pay that amount which is additional to the normal child support. It all gets deducted the same out of my check.

r21tn34

insurance

Ok, it states
A parent ordered to provide health insurance, or to pay additional child support for the cost of health insurance who fails to do so is liable for 100% of necessary medical expenses of the child, w/o regard to whether the expenses would have been paid if health insurance had been provided, and the cost of health insurance premiums or contributions, if any, paid on behalf of the child.
The court orders the party who incurs a health care expense on behalf of the child to submit to the other pary all forms, receipts, bills and statements reflecting the uninsured portion of the health care expenses within 30 days after he/she receives them. The court orders the non-incurring party to pay his or her percentage of the uninsured portion of the health care expenses either by paying the health care provider directly or by reimbursing teh incurring party for any advance payment over and above the incurring party's percentage of the uninsured portion of the health care expenses within 30 days after the non-incurring party receives the forms, receipts, bills or statement.

Thes provisions apply to all unreimbursed health care expenses of any child subject of this suit that are incurred while child support is payable for that child.

The mother never gave me anything after our original child support court date. She was supposed to mail me her insurance policy and card and I have never received them and it has been almost a year.

I don't understand why I have to pay twice when she could get a doctor through the insurance to help pay for the costs. Its like she's doing it intentionally so I have to pay more money b/c she knows how strapped for cash I am. She has money to burn, she's much wealthier than I am.

Do I have an argument a judge will stand on my side with? I want my child to receive the best health care, I have no problem with that, I just think we should use the insurance I pay for and use a doctor who works with our insurance..

Any replies are appreciated.

Frustrated dad

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">