• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Issue, I'm Lost... please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danesy21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

OK, I will try to make this short and sweet. I have 2 kids, and I am female. They are 16 & 13. I have had a child support order in effect since 2007 where I am obligated to pay 176.00 per week. Plus provide health care and I am responsible for 51% of medical expenses after the first 250.00. While I was working that was totally fine. The money was coming directly out of my paycheck. Before I go any further you should also know that this man is a vindictive heartless jerk. He physically abused me towards the end of the relationship, and has told me that he doesn't need my money that he could just bet it on a hand of blackjack, it means nothing to him. He's told me he's doing this just to financially destroy me and make me miserable. He owns his own business, home, cars, etc. He's well off.

Anyway, I was laid off from a long time job on May 4,2009. I started collecting NJ unemployment, and the child support was being deducted right from there. I didn't have a problem with the amount because NJ is fine to live off of even after that. Now inbetween my layoff and unemployment there became arrears. In May of 2010 I got a temp assignment that lasted until Sept 2010. This was in NY. The child support was never deducted from my pay, and while I know it was my obligataion to make it there became more arrears. Now that I am collecting NY unemployment, it is SIGNIFIGANTLY less than NJ. I am getting 262.00 per week. My order is for 197.00 per week due to the arrears. I went to court today to get it modified so I can pay rent, etc. The judge DENIED the modification due to my "spotty" record and the arrears. I am at a loss. I don't know how I am expected to live on 62.00 per week!!!! Can someone provide some sort of insight or advice here?

Thanks so much in advance.

danesy21

I should also add that I had an attorney for today's hearing. He advised me when it was done that they wouldn't take it from my NY unemployment that they just wanted to see effort. He said that if I just started sending what I could I would be OK.... I'm just a little concerned about keeping a roof over my head. I cannot pay my rent on 62.00 per week.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

OK, I will try to make this short and sweet. I have 2 kids, and I am female. They are 16 & 13. I have had a child support order in effect since 2007 where I am obligated to pay 176.00 per week. Plus provide health care and I am responsible for 51% of medical expenses after the first 250.00. While I was working that was totally fine. The money was coming directly out of my paycheck.

Okay.

Before I go any further you should also know that this man is a vindictive heartless jerk. He physically abused me towards the end of the relationship, and has told me that he doesn't need my money that he could just bet it on a hand of blackjack, it means nothing to him. He's told me he's doing this just to financially destroy me and make me miserable. He owns his own business, home, cars, etc. He's well off.

Which, quite honestly, is completely irrelevant.

Anyway, I was laid off from a long time job on May 4,2009. I started collecting NJ unemployment, and the child support was being deducted right from there. I didn't have a problem with the amount because NJ is fine to live off of even after that. Now inbetween my layoff and unemployment there became arrears. In May of 2010 I got a temp assignment that lasted until Sept 2010. This was in NY. The child support was never deducted from my pay, and while I know it was my obligataion to make it there became more arrears. Now that I am collecting NY unemployment, it is SIGNIFIGANTLY less than NJ. I am getting 262.00 per week. My order is for 197.00 per week due to the arrears. I went to court today to get it modified so I can pay rent, etc. The judge DENIED the modification due to my "spotty" record and the arrears. I am at a loss. I don't know how I am expected to live on 62.00 per week!!!! Can someone provide some sort of insight or advice here?

Thanks so much in advance.

Do you still have time to appeal?

If not, or if the appeal is denied - seriously, you need to do whatever you can to find ANY kind of work.

Anything.

You really messed up by not paying when you were working...the court is unlikely to be sympathetic to your plight at this stage.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sadly, you should have filed for a mod right when you were laid off. Your best bet now would be to do your best to pick up extra work - no matter where from - to make your payments. Yes, that may mean several part time min wage jobs.

As for "NJ is fine to live off of". The rest of us who live here and who you're living off of don't think it's that fine. We have our own families to support. Thanks for sucking off of my kids. Appreciate it.

danesy21

Sadly, you should have filed for a mod right when you were laid off. Your best bet now would be to do your best to pick up extra work - no matter where from - to make your payments. Yes, that may mean several part time min wage jobs.

As for "NJ is fine to live off of". The rest of us who live here and who you're living off of don't think it's that fine. We have our own families to support. Thanks for sucking off of my kids. Appreciate it.
My apologies for the way that was worded. I didn't mean it that way. I meant I could support myself and still have it deducted and pay my bills. As it stands right now, I cannot do that. I am not sucking off of anyone. I have been to several temp agencies, and had interviews with stores such as Lowes, etc. Right now it seems like nothing is breaking for me in the job department.

I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else, my apologies. I am going to make the payments that I can, as much as I can, and keep looking for work. From what my attorney has said as long as they see an effort being made they won't do anything to me legally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">