• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support Jail time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momoft

I live in NY and my boyfriend was just arrested at court for failure to pay his support he owes 3,600 and was sentenced to 6 months.My question is can he get out before 6 months and if he pays the whole amount does he have to serve any more time?I need to do what i can to get him home.

CourtClerk

Pay his back child support and continue paying it for him. That will keep him out of jail. Really, you WANT to be with someone who doesn't support his own child????

Are you really that desperate?

momoft

Also his ex works for probation and he made verbal agreements with her for his support. Now she denied ever doing that, so he was paying untill he got laid off like i said it was 3,600 behind 75 weekly.Its not like he wasnt paying or supporting his child cause he did. Bought her anything the mother asked for and tried his hardest to keep up. lost his job and that what messed things up. It really shouldnt be about the money as he had his child everyday and was apart of her life...

Radia

A verbal agreement is NOTHING unless it can be proven... and even then, he could have taken the proper actions to lower his support if he couldn't pay what he was ordered due to income loss.

Im finding it interesting though just how many people show up on this board saying that they lost income and couldnt pay but did NOTHING to change it....

Proserpina

Also his ex works for probation and he made verbal agreements with her for his support. Now she denied ever doing that, so he was paying untill he got laid off like i said it was 3,600 behind 75 weekly.Its not like he wasnt paying or supporting his child cause he did. Bought her anything the mother asked for and tried his hardest to keep up. lost his job and that what messed things up. It really shouldnt be about the money as he had his child everyday and was apart of her life...

So why didn't he go to court?

This could have been prevented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">