• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and Joint account ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pearl72

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My Daughter's father has more than once suggested this, and says parents do this "all the time". He wants to set up a joint account in which we BOTH put in the amount of child support he is currently supposed to pay, and then we both have access to this in case HE should need to get anything for our daughter, he can access this money and me vice versa, if i need to get something for her, then i can use that money... I am not comfortable with this, but has anyone else heard of this? Does it work?

Silverplum

Pearl72 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

My Daughter's father has more than once suggested this, and says parents do this "all the time". He wants to set up a joint account in which we BOTH put in the amount of child support he is currently supposed to pay, and then we both have access to this in case HE should need to get anything for our daughter, he can access this money and me vice versa, if i need to get something for her, then i can use that money... I am not comfortable with this, but has anyone else heard of this? Does it work?
NO, no no nonononono!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't put up with this. Just make him pay through CSE and move on. What a conman he is.

NotSoNew

well i know where he got the idea from, a lot of people are trying to push a child support "debit" card that kinda is along those lines, obviously there would be a lot more rules and stipulations. since there is no such thing now, no i would not do that because he could take all the money back!

plus you wouldnt both need to put in the amount he is supposed to pay, you would only be supposed to put in your portion (usually on the CS sheet), unless you guys make the same and thats why he said that. but short answer NO dont do it!

StarsMoon

awfully brave if you do....:confused: :eek: :confused:

IMO.. I wouldn't do it what so ever....
Keep it through CSE where they can keep up with the CS...;) ;)

DL11

Re: Debit cards for CS

NotSoNew said:
well i know where he got the idea from, a lot of people are trying to push a child support "debit" card that kinda is along those lines, obviously there would be a lot more rules and stipulations. since there is no such thing now, no i would not do that because he could take all the money back!**************......it!
OHIO just enacted this debit card or direct deposit only... no more mailed checks. I opted for the debit card thinking it would be easy to just use for what I need and now I NEVER know when money is put in and how much is in there. I've tried to obtain a "balance" from the issuing bank's ATM's as it stated in the instructions and it always says "$0 Balance", yet it allows me to purchase items. Doesn't make any sense.

I plan on calling them next week to question this and most likely change it to direct deposit if they even allow it. Just thought I'd let you all know there is a state already enforcing this debit card deal, only other option is direct deposit.

To the OP, NO WAY do that joint bank account suggestion. He's trying to fool you in to this and playing you for naive. Keep yourself protected at ALL times. Good luck.

NotSoNew

interesting to know that a state is doing it, i would have thought Ohiogal woulda chimed in on this one then.

I am sure they have some kinks to work out.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
NotSoNew said:
interesting to know that a state is doing it, i would have thought Ohiogal woulda chimed in on this one then.

I am sure they have some kinks to work out.
I'm here. I took a break for a while. Child support -- to the OP -- do NOT do that. Child support is his portion of support that he owes you. Why would he want you to contribute to it? I am confused about that. As for the debit card -- I have heard of problems with it. It was an option added in case people do not have a checking account.

DL11

DL11 said:
I plan on calling them next week to question this and most likely change it to direct deposit if they even allow it. Just thought I'd let you all know there is a state already enforcing this debit card deal, only other option is direct deposit.

QUOTE]

EDIT TO MY COMMENT: The State of Ohio DOES allow Direct Deposit, what I meant that statement to mean is, "I'm not certain if they will allow me to switch to Direct Deposit after already opting for this Debit Card and just receiving it."

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
DL11 said:
DL11 said:

QUOTE]

EDIT TO MY COMMENT: The State of Ohio DOES allow Direct Deposit, what I meant that statement to mean is, "I'm not certain if they will allow me to switch to Direct Deposit after already opting for this Debit Card and just receiving it."

You should be able to. It may take some time but I know that when people move or change banks or something they have an option to change the way they are receiving support so you should be able to by giving them your account information. It just may take a month or so.

DL11

Ohiogal said:
DL11 said:
You should be able to. It may take some time but I know that when people move or change banks or something they have an option to change the way they are receiving support so you should be able to by giving them your account information. It just may take a month or so.
I just today figured out how to check the balance, and I'm no ditz, it's just different from a credit card and acts as a checking account on ATM machines. :rolleyes:

Thanks Ohiogal

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">