• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LovemysonJ

Hello, recently I made the mistake of telling my 17 year old to leave my home because he was verbally abusive to me. I have an extensive history of repeated verbal, physical, sexually abuse and rape as a child as well as a history of verbal abuse by my son's father. So when my son became verbally abusive, I overreacted and told him to leave. I also sent him a message telling him to come pick up his belongings. Once I came to my senses I attended an appointment with my son and his psychologist. This did not go well because the focus was made on my behavior and not my son's. I have since left several messages for my son to come home. I also tried to bribe him with a cell phone. My latest message threatened to file a PINS petition. He is still not home and it is coming up on 3 weeks. My son's father has continued to pay me child support and has not petitioned the court for a modification. However, the girlfriend of my son's father has gone online publicly accusing me of committing a crime and stealing from my son because I "kicked him out" and I am still collecting child support. I have several police reports that document my son running away from home when I attempted to discipline him. Also, when I've asked him to come home he wanted to know if he would be grounded and I told him he would so he is refusing to come home. He keeps running to live with my parents. I have limited his contact with them because they are the ones who abused me. As far as I know, my son has not been abused by them in anyway. Instead they spoil him rotten with expensive, lavish gifts, have no rules in their home or chores. They also undermine my authority every chance they get. For example, I tried to discipline my son by taking away his phone. My parents immediately ran out and bought him a new one. Additionally, my parents and my son's father have joined together against me and have spent years talking bad about me to my son and ultimately turning him against me. Here are my questions; 1. At this point, can I be arrested for initially telling my son to leave and to come get his belongings? 2. Am I committing a crime by continuing to collect support? 3. Should I file a PINS petition to get my son home? 4. If my son does come home but leaves again to move in with my parents when he turns 18 in September am I still entitled to child support if my son goes to college? 5. Does my son even have a legal right to move in with my parents when he turns 18? 6. Do I have any other possible remedies available? Thank you for your time and attention to my dilemma!!

Silverplum

Hello, recently I made the mistake of telling my 17 year old to leave my home because he was verbally abusive to me. I have an extensive history of repeated verbal, physical, sexually abuse and rape as a child as well as a history of verbal abuse by my son's father. So when my son became verbally abusive, I overreacted and told him to leave. I also sent him a message telling him to come pick up his belongings. Once I came to my senses I attended an appointment with my son and his psychologist. This did not go well because the focus was made on my behavior and not my son's. I have since left several messages for my son to come home. I also tried to bribe him with a cell phone. My latest message threatened to file a PINS petition. He is still not home and it is coming up on 3 weeks. My son's father has continued to pay me child support and has not petitioned the court for a modification. However, the girlfriend of my son's father has gone online publicly accusing me of committing a crime and stealing from my son because I "kicked him out" and I am still collecting child support. I have several police reports that document my son running away from home when I attempted to discipline him. Also, when I've asked him to come home he wanted to know if he would be grounded and I told him he would so he is refusing to come home. He keeps running to live with my parents. I have limited his contact with them because they are the ones who abused me. As far as I know, my son has not been abused by them in anyway. Instead they spoil him rotten with expensive, lavish gifts, have no rules in their home or chores. They also undermine my authority every chance they get. For example, I tried to discipline my son by taking away his phone. My parents immediately ran out and bought him a new one. Additionally, my parents and my son's father have joined together against me and have spent years talking bad about me to my son and ultimately turning him against me. Here are my questions; 1. At this point, can I be arrested for initially telling my son to leave and to come get his belongings? 2. Am I committing a crime by continuing to collect support? 3. Should I file a PINS petition to get my son home? 4. If my son does come home but leaves again to move in with my parents when he turns 18 in September am I still entitled to child support if my son goes to college? 5. Does my son even have a legal right to move in with my parents when he turns 18? 6. Do I have any other possible remedies available? Thank you for your time and attention to my dilemma!!
Why is child support the primary issue?

LovemysonJ

I have multiple reasons. I want to ensure I am not committing any crimes. I plan to use the money to continue supporting my child by providing for his needs, helping him through college and/or saving it for him. I am also disabled living off of a fixed income of SSD so I would not be able to provide as much for my son without child support. I don't understand the reasoning, importance, or purpose of your question.

Just Blue

I have multiple reasons. I want to ensure I am not committing any crimes. I plan to use the money to continue supporting my child by providing for his needs, helping him through college and/or saving it for him. I am also disabled living off of a fixed income of SSD so I would not be able to provide as much for my son without child support. I don't understand the reasoning, importance, or purpose of your question.
I would suggest you seek mental health care. This is your/fathers mental issue and not your son's.

LovemysonJ

I came here to seek legal advice. I did not come here to be questioned by others with questions that serve no legitimate purpose. Considering that you do not know me and have only been provided with very limited information meant solely for the purpose of legal advice, I certainly do not deserve to be judged or to have false assumptions made about me. Unless you are here to help me with some legal advice I would ask that you please leave me alone. Thank you.

Silverplum

I came here to seek legal advice. I did not come here to be questioned by others with questions that serve no legitimate purpose. Considering that you do not know me and have only been provided with very limited information meant solely for the purpose of legal advice, I certainly do not deserve to be judged or to have false assumptions made about me. Unless you are here to help me with some legal advice I would ask that you please leave me alone. Thank you.
Name of the US state that enforces your CS order?

TigerD

1. "Why is child support the primary issue?" This is a question that gets directly to both your goals and the other inputs that affect the answers. Your response prompted a comment:
2. "I would suggest you seek mental health care. This is your/fathers mental issue and not your son's." This is also a directly relevant comment as you expressed a number of issues that may interfere with your ability to provide a safe home for the child, as evidenced by your kicking the boy out into the street in the first place.
3. You are right we do not know you. Given your penchant for refusing to answer questions, the only advice anyone her can offer is: You should talk to a local attorney with experience in family law.

On a personal note, I hope you get the help it seems like you need.

TD

Just Blue

Well with "very limited information" you managed to make an impression. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You could use the CS you are still receiving to pay for an attorney.

or

Give it to your parents for your son's support while he is living with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">