• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan13

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
My stepdaughter just received notice that a lien has been placed against the house that she lives in and holds title with her mother. The lien was placed by her exhusband's exgirlfriend whom he owes back child support to. The lien is for $16000.00. This house was purchased by my stepdaughter and her mother before she married her husband, in September of 2001. They were married in November of 2002 and divorced in June of 2004. The exhusbands name has never been on the title or the mortgage. What can she do about this and is this legal? I thought property you held before a marriage was considered sole and separate. Thanks! :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dan13 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
My stepdaughter just received notice that a lien has been placed against the house that she lives in and holds title with her mother. The lien was placed by her exhusband's exgirlfriend whom he owes back child support to. The lien is for $16000.00. This house was purchased by my stepdaughter and her mother before she married her husband, in September of 2001. They were married in November of 2002 and divorced in June of 2004. The exhusbands name has never been on the title or the mortgage. What can she do about this and is this legal? I thought property you held before a marriage was considered sole and separate. Thanks! :confused:

My response:

What was the settlement concerning the house in the dissolution? He does have a community property interest in the house. So, the lien is as against his share - - presuming that the house wasn't refinanced to pay him for his share of the marital appreciation during the marriage.

IAAL

dan13

Lien

The dissoulution states she has all rights to the property, he did not receive anything and will not receive anything in the future. Could the lien be put on in error?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">