• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kerriann420

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have a lien on the home of my ex for child support. The house is about to go into foreclosure with the bank. Will I get any of the child support owed to me, or will the bank take everything? :(

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

Kerriann420 said:

I have a lien on the home of my ex for child support. The house is about to go into foreclosure with the bank. Will I get any of the child support owed to me, or will the bank take everything? :(
It depends. If he owes $100k on the house, and the house is only worth $70k, he will still owe and there will be no extra. If he owes $100k and the house sells for $150k, then there will be extra for your lein.

The bank/mortgage company WILL get their money first.

nextwife

The mortgage, presuming it preceeded your lien, is first priority. Any Jr mortgages that preceed your lien would also have priority. After those and legal costs are paid, the remaining creditors get paid based upon their lien position. Needless to say, in a FC, not all judgements/liens necessarilly get paid off. It depends upon the equity.

I'm not an attorney either.

Gracie3787

Kerriann420 said:

Along with the mortgage and other creditors, if your ex owes any taxes, they will be paid before any CS. Sorry, but foreclosure usually means that a whole lot of debt is owed besides CS, and it rarely produces anything for the CP despite the lien. I hope you get lucky and get something from it.

VZLuLu

CS Lien in Ma

Kerriann did you have this lien initiated by DOR/CSE in Mass? If so how long did it take for them to do this? If you don't mind me asking? I am just wondering if I am wasting time talking to them.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">