• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clueless92780

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

as part of divorce, i paid child support. had to take out life insurance for 500K in case of my death, payable to ex-wife. now she pays me child support due to unemployment. can i drop the life insurance? or reduce? it is in the divorce agreement so am not sure if i can change a divorce agreement retroactively

Silverplum

as part of divorce, i paid child support. had to take out life insurance for 500K in case of my death, payable to ex-wife. now she pays me child support due to unemployment. can i drop the life insurance? or reduce? it is in the divorce agreement so am not sure if i can change a divorce agreement retroactively
The life insurance is to make sure the other parent can properly care for your child in the event of your death, in lieu of child support.

So you'd file for a modification. Ask that Mom be assigned the job of carrying (paying for) the same amount of life insurance on herself for the same reason.

mistoffolees

The life insurance is to make sure the other parent can properly care for your child in the event of your death, in lieu of child support.

So you'd file for a modification. Ask that Mom be assigned the job of carrying (paying for) the same amount of life insurance on herself for the same reason.
Right. Don't just drop it because you would probably be in contempt (although it would be helpful to have the exact wording of the court order without names).

But since Mom is the one paying support now, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the court to agree to a clause for her to carry life insurance. Although $500 K seems awfully high. The maximum amount you could reasonably ask for is enough to cover unpaid future child support.

Silverplum

Right. Don't just drop it because you would probably be in contempt (although it would be helpful to have the exact wording of the court order without names).

But since Mom is the one paying support now, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the court to agree to a clause for her to carry life insurance. Although $500 K seems awfully high. The maximum amount you could reasonably ask for is enough to cover unpaid future child support.
Make sure you change the beneficiary as soon as the child turns 18: you wouldn't want Mom yachting the Riv on your life insurance $$ AFTER all the child support has been paid.

Humusluvr

Did you ALREADY drop it? Without modifying the order?

And really, you wouldn't want the child to suffer if either parent were to pass. Both parents should carry life insurance, IMHO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">