• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and lost of income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seomike

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have my own business and the business has declined over 70 Percent. The business had to reduce my income by 70 percent.

Here are the issues that I am having.

I currently pay my ex-wife 517.00 a month for 1 child which we settles on through her lawyer 5 years a ago.

Also in the settlement there is a clause to pay for the childs education and other expenses.

Here is what I am paying:
Child Support 517.00
Childs bus fair 175.00 3 times from Aug to May
Insurance 161.00
Florida College Plan 33.00
Aug to may 354.00 private school
doctors and perscriptions 25.00 to 150.00 a month

I can no longer afford many of these expenses, I do not have enough money to a lawyer and I am seeking legal advice on how I can take the right steps so that I can reduce my payments. I am still working but limited time due to medial reasons, I have top pace my day but I still can work from home and pace my days.

Questions:
Can I do this on my own without a lawyer
Since I agreed to pay for my childs school can this be reversed?
If I just pay the 517.00 and health insurance can I get in trouble.

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have my own business and the business has declined over 70 Percent. The business had to reduce my income by 70 percent.

I currently pay my ex-wife 517.00 a month for 1 child which we settles on through her lawyer 5 years a ago.

Also in the settlement there is a clause to pay for the childs education and other expenses.

Child Support 517.00
Insurance 161.00

I can no longer afford many of these expenses, I do not have enough money to a lawyer and I am seeking legal advice on how I can take the right steps so that I can reduce my payments. I am still working but limited time due to medial reasons, I have top pace my day but I still can work from home and pace my days.

Questions:

If that is all COURT ordered then you need to pay it all. You would need to show that you have an involuntary cut in pay and ask that the child support be modified due to that. You can also ask that the like kind expenses be considered in child support and do a modification that way. HOWEVER, you say you limit your working time due to medical records. What is your medical condition? Do you have verificiation/evidence/proof that you NEED to work less hours due to this condition?

Gracie3787

Child Support 517.00
Insurance 161.00

Questions:

If you have proof of your medical problem that is preventing you from working, you can file for a modification pro-se.

The first thing you should do will be to get a quick consult with a local attorney to make sure filing will be worth it. You can get a low cost consult by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Referall Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Then if you plan to file pro-se you will need to learn the laws and court rules.
You can find the forms and other info at: Florida State Courts

The Statutes in chapter 61 at: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov

The Rules of Civil Procedure at: FLORIDA RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE

The Florida Family Law Rules at: Florida Family Law Rules

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">