• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and military pay question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fields07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am only posting to see if any lawyers or people who actually been through this can help. Please do not comment if neither apply. Thank you.

Here is the question... My husband is in military and he has two children from a previous marriage- he pays child support every month as mandated- His ex wife has asked for an increase in child support and he agrees that if the kids need it then he should pay it- but he wants to know from a budgetary standpoint in our home- what portions of his income count towards this increase. For example (I am just making up numbers so that I can do the math easily on this) lets say he is paid 1000 per month in military pay plus he is receiving 1000 dollars per month for what is called BAH (which is a housing allowance for people who live off base- there is limited housing on the base- on base housing is free- so they provide money so that people still have somewhere to live at limited or no cost off base) ---- What counts as the income she can draw the 20% from? 1000 or 2000? We just want to know what to expect.

Base housing is not free, the military pays your husband his BAH, then housing takes that BAH away, so base housing is the cost of whatever your husband receives for BAH.

According to military, and most states, child support is set at, basic pay and BAH combined.

So if your husband is paid 1000.00 a month for basic pay and his BAH is 1000.00 a month then the child support would be set from 2000.00.

Fields07

You are right- I mispoke- I should not have called free cuz it isn't

...I see exactly what are saying about them counting it because everyone is paid for housing, its just that those who live on base have it deducted immeadiately. **Light bulb** I get it now. Thank you

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">