• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support with minor parents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerrybb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California:

Situation: A family member 16 yrs old is pregnant. The father is also a minor, 17 yrs old. Both living at home with parents, etc.

Question: Is there any obligation on the part of the father for child support now or in the future? How about obligation on his parents for future support? Thanks in advance for any help. BTW, this is a real situation, not hypothetical.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California:

Situation: A family member 16 yrs old is pregnant. The father is also a minor, 17 yrs old. Both living at home with parents, etc.

Question: Is there any obligation on the part of the father for child support now or in the future? How about obligation on his parents for future support? Thanks in advance for any help. BTW, this is a real situation, not hypothetical.
Once paternity is established the mother can sue daddy for child support of THEIR child.

nextwife

Once paternity is established the mother can sue daddy for child support of THEIR child.
And let the mom know that she is taking on an equal responsibility to support her child. This is not just minor dad's financial responsibility. BOTH parents have a financial duty to their child.

jerrybb

Minor child support

Thanks for the help so far. The mom will be a doting parent, I'm sure, and at this time they have those high teen-age ideas of marriage, etc but I don't think their plans are realistic. I'm more practical and want to know the downside info just in case. The devil IS in the details and having the information before you need it. Jerry

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the help so far. The mom will be a doting parent, I'm sure, and at this time they have those high teen-age ideas of marriage, etc but I don't think their plans are realistic. I'm more practical and want to know the downside info just in case. The devil IS in the details and having the information before you need it. Jerry
I'm willing to bet you are the maternal grandpa to be ;)

CourtClerk

Thanks for the help so far. The mom will be a doting parent,
Doting parent does not equate to financially responsible. There are tons of "doting parents," who cannot and do not financially support their own children. Look at all of the welfare recipients and people who depend on their parents to pay for their offspring...

jerrybb

Minor parents

Good guess, I'm afraid we are the maternal grandparents but trying to stay out of the families business. They have a large family and I'm sure will be able to take care of themselves but I just want her parents to be aware of the responsibilities of all concerned. You can get a drivers license at 16 but brains and common sense are in short supply.

nextwife

The downside is that mom has now tied herself to the other child-parent for at least the next 18 years or more. If child dad wishes to be an involved parent, he has the right to file to share parenting and have jt legal custody. Child-mom may find herself geographically restricted until the baby reaches the age of majority. No moving away to college WITH the baby, potentially no moving the child away to marry someone who lives elsewhere or for a job transfer someday unless the court approves the moveaway.

Hopefully some of the grownups in child-mom's life will explain that SHE will not have all the say or all the control, baby will also go and spend time with their father AWAY from her (once the coparenting plan is in place and filed with the courts), and she will not have a say in whom dad chooses to have around the baby. She won't be able to just move elsewhere (if she plans to move the child), she won't be able to insist daddy do this or that with his child during his time, and so on.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">