• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modifcation for non-working parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mamabear1985

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

A little over two years ago, I made the mistake of conceding to reduced child support from my son's father (now 8) because his father and his wife were expecting a child and he had planned on staying home to take care of the child and *her* kids - basically he guilted me into the agreement (not important to the state, I know). My son's father still does not work and relies on his wife's income to support their family. I have reason to believe that their financial situation has changed. Here's what I've gathered through inference of what my son has mentioned through passing conversation and situations that have arisen over the past two years:

1. The wife has had a job promotion to a lead doctor in a very large local hospital;
2. They are living in his parents' basement (assuming rent free because he has mentioned that they are planning on buying a house in the near future);
3. They just purchased two luxury vehicles;
4. They were able to take four children on a 10-day long vacation out of state to Disneyland;
5. Recently adopted a pure-bred dog that is relatively expensive;
6. Both step-children are old enough that they are in elementary school and no longer require full-time daycare;
7. The wife receives full child support from her children's father;
8. The grandparents still live in the house (upstairs) and still babysit my son's half sister (the child they had been expecting), so it could possibly be concluded that his father has the opportunity to get a job.

Now, I know there are a couple things that could be held against me: I have gotten a little bit of raise since the last modification, and I had agreed to that modification that resulted in a $600+ state assessed reduction in his support obligations - yes, he is still paying child support. I am also not married, living with another person other than my son, am working full-time, and have primary custody.

That being said, I have googled to the end of the world to find out if her income can be taken into consideration if I were to request a modification. Increased rent and general expenses (mostly required) are causing me to break even financially every month. His father refuses to talk to me about anything so I can't confirm any of the above...but on the off-chance that they are all accurate, how would my request for a modification work? Do I have a case? How long do I have to wait to submit a modification anyway (or should I bother at this point)?

Sorry for the long question but I'm at a loss and cannot afford a family law attorney - even if I took out a loan I couldn't afford the payments on it - and want to make sure I can go to the case worker with as much infor and case support as possible. Thank you!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can ask to have him imputed an income he should be capable of earning, but his wife isn't responsible for helping support your child. Neither are his parents or the mailman.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

A little over two years ago, I made the mistake of conceding to reduced child support from my son's father (now 8) because his father and his wife were expecting a child and he had planned on staying home to take care of the child and *her* kids - basically he guilted me into the agreement (not important to the state, I know). My son's father still does not work and relies on his wife's income to support their family. I have reason to believe that their financial situation has changed. Here's what I've gathered through inference of what my son has mentioned through passing conversation and situations that have arisen over the past two years:

1. The wife has had a job promotion to a lead doctor in a very large local hospital;
2. They are living in his parents' basement (assuming rent free because he has mentioned that they are planning on buying a house in the near future);
3. They just purchased two luxury vehicles;
4. They were able to take four children on a 10-day long vacation out of state to Disneyland;
5. Recently adopted a pure-bred dog that is relatively expensive;
6. Both step-children are old enough that they are in elementary school and no longer require full-time daycare;
7. The wife receives full child support from her children's father;
8. The grandparents still live in the house (upstairs) and still babysit my son's half sister (the child they had been expecting), so it could possibly be concluded that his father has the opportunity to get a job.

Now, I know there are a couple things that could be held against me: I have gotten a little bit of raise since the last modification, and I had agreed to that modification that resulted in a $600+ state assessed reduction in his support obligations - yes, he is still paying child support. I am also not married, living with another person other than my son, am working full-time, and have primary custody.

That being said, I have googled to the end of the world to find out if her income can be taken into consideration if I were to request a modification. Increased rent and general expenses (mostly required) are causing me to break even financially every month. His father refuses to talk to me about anything so I can't confirm any of the above...but on the off-chance that they are all accurate, how would my request for a modification work? Do I have a case? How long do I have to wait to submit a modification anyway (or should I bother at this point)?

Sorry for the long question but I'm at a loss and cannot afford a family law attorney - even if I took out a loan I couldn't afford the payments on it - and want to make sure I can go to the case worker with as much infor and case support as possible. Thank you!
I, too, was/am "financially successful" and my stepsons' mother always desired a piece of my earnings. She, like you, was not entitled to my money. That's why you can't find a way to get the doctor's money: it's not for you.

Over the years, we've adopted several purebred hounds, gorgeous creatures: all from rescues or shelters. Maybe they did, too.

That green tinge doesn't become your complexion.

Just Blue

I, too, was/am "financially successful" and my stepsons' mother always desired a piece of my earnings. She, like you, was not entitled to my money. That's why you can't find a way to get the doctor's money: it's not for you.

Over the years, we've adopted several purebred hounds, gorgeous creatures: all from rescues or shelters. Maybe they did, too.

That green tinge doesn't become your complexion.
EXTRA!! LIKE!!:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">