• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgooding

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachusetts
Do I need to have a lawyer represent me or accompany me in my child support modification case where I am in arrears? If so, what would be the cheapest route for me to take in getting one. My reason fpr asking is that at my last appearance I felt that the D.O.R lawyers were completely in control of the situation and I had no say.

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

dgooding said:
Do I need to have a lawyer represent me or accompany me in my child support modification case where I am in arrears? If so, what would be the cheapest route for me to take in getting one. My reason fpr asking is that at my last appearance I felt that the D.O.R lawyers were completely in control of the situation and I had no say.
It would be in your best interest to have an attorney, especially to help you prove that you are in need of a downward modification. However, realize that most states can "impute' income to you based on what you were making when the order was established, especially if you are voluntarily unemployed or underemployed.

Phnx02

dgooding said:
Why don't you just pay the arrears and get current on your CS so you won't find yourself in this situation for a 3rd time?

Shay-Pari'e

dgooding said:
So you have already been to court on this issue. What was the outcome? What say do you need inside the court room? You may want to say you are sorry for not supporting the kids you produced.

I'm left to wonder why you have the money to fight your support issues, yet not use it to support your children.

If you think I was being rude with my answer, you would be correct.

dgooding

Don' judge me

First, yes you were being rude, without knowing anything about me or how I came to be in the situation that I am in....I am not trying to fight the support order, only to modify it based on my current income. I have supported my son for 16 years, not only by order, but with anything he needed. There was a time when I was in the position to do that, but after having been displaced after 9/11, and moving back to this state in order to take care of an ailing parent, spending three years temping and various other positions, I have finally had to settle for a position that pays significantly less than I was making before. I fell behind during the time I was not working, My payments have now restarted, but at the rate it was when I was in New York, plus my order to pay the arrears. The first time I went to court was for the arrears. All that I've explained to you I was not able to explain to anyone else. At that time I filed for modification. I just want to be able to reach in my pocket and hand my son something whne he asks me for it! I hate saying "I don't have it." Although I know every woman should have the support, his mother is in a better position than I, and has just bought a new Mercedes and she always seems to tell him she doesn't have it to give him. She gets him what he needs, I know, but I like to give him the extra to play with. Right now I'm working and bringing home nothing and with a sick mother to help. So please don't judge me!!! Also please don't mistake this response for a whine. Just thought you should know, regardless of what you or anyone you know has been through, there are those of us(men) who are doing our best and getting a bad rap form those who don't.

rexgto

Amen!!!! people really ought to keep their rude comments out of this....each case should be brought on a case by case basis. The more I research the more I find that for noncustodial parents there is true bias. Yes there are fathers that are doing everything they can to do the right thing. But because there are fathers out there that aren't, well we all get a bad rep. The only way (I'm beginning to realize) to overcome this bias is to light a fire under our government representives to find some sort of a reform for this out of control support system that each state has in place. FATHERS start writing your state representatives and senators. Let them know that FATHERS should also have rights!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">