• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uhfin04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My ex-husband filed a child support modification in early May. He has been "unemployed" by choice for years now. He makes no attempt to look for a job and recently moved to Florida to live with his parents. He had been paying support since 2005 based on the divorce agreement but stopped paying support in 2010. I filed for enforcement of child support. My question is if the modification is granted will the effective date of the modiciation be from the time he filed or will it go back to 2005 as he has been unemployeed since 2005.

Any help is appreciated!

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My ex-husband filed a child support modification in early May. He has been "unemployed" by choice for years now. He makes no attempt to look for a job and recently moved to Florida to live with his parents. He had been paying support since 2005 based on the divorce agreement but stopped paying support in 2010. I filed for enforcement of child support. My question is if the modification is granted will the effective date of the modiciation be from the time he filed or will it go back to 2005 as he has been unemployeed since 2005.

Any help is appreciated!

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Modification is typically only retroactive to the date of filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">