• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariojk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I am about to be layed-off or fired due to plant closing. Can I get an immediate child support modification if I am on unemployment? If so, how? And how long will it take to take effect?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I am about to be layed-off or fired due to plant closing.
I'm sorry. If I were you. I'd start placing feelers out there for a new job.

Can I get an immediate child support modification if I am on unemployment?
No. You need to request a modification, or file on your own. Though filing on your own might get you into court sooner.

If so, how? And how long will it take to take effect?
Depends on how quickly you return CSED paperwork, then there is a set number of days allowed for the other party to return paperwork.

In some states and counties, CSED will send to both parties, in others only the requesting party and will not send to the other one until the paperwork comes back.

Then you're looking at a min of 20-30 days to get into court--if the courts aren't swamped and possibly up to 90. Then, it depends on the legal process: Is your ex going to fight it, will the magistrate want more info? That will take time.

Once he has everything he needs another 30-60 days for an order. It could be effective back to the date of filing, or it could be effective as of the date he signs the order.....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
FreeAdvice Legal Forum - Search Results

You can't stop trying to lower your child support, now can you? First it was because you wanted your children 3 more days a month to get that magical 50/50 time and now you change your user name and want to talk about getting fired? How will you then support your children if you are currently living paycheck to paycheck?

And why did you change your username?

mariojk

Thank you

I'm sorry. If I were you. I'd start placing feelers out there for a new job.

No. You need to request a modification, or file on your own. Though filing on your own might get you into court sooner.

Depends on how quickly you return CSED paperwork, then there is a set number of days allowed for the other party to return paperwork.

In some states and counties, CSED will send to both parties, in others only the requesting party and will not send to the other one until the paperwork comes back.

Then you're looking at a min of 20-30 days to get into court--if the courts aren't swamped and possibly up to 90. Then, it depends on the legal process: Is your ex going to fight it, will the magistrate want more info? That will take time.

Once he has everything he needs another 30-60 days for an order. It could be effective back to the date of filing, or it could be effective as of the date he signs the order.....
Thank you, I appreciate your factual, non-judgmental, direct answer to my question. I already have my feelers out for a new job. I have been anticipating these lay offs for a little while. The problem will be finding a job in my area that pays anything close to what I'm currently making, and obviously unemployment won't pay the bills.

mariojk

You're right

FreeAdvice Legal Forum - Search Results

You can't stop trying to lower your child support, now can you? First it was because you wanted your children 3 more days a month to get that magical 50/50 time and now you change your user name and want to talk about getting fired? How will you then support your children if you are currently living paycheck to paycheck?

And why did you change your username?
That's exactly what it is. I've engineered this elaborate scheme to put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work in the midwest, just to lower my child support. How will I support my children? I don't know, and I know many people that may be in worse shape than me soon. If you would like to actually help someone with some advice then by all means do so, but if you just want to sit back and throw out some mindless, judgmental garbage please just shut up. You don't know me, my children, or anything about my family.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's exactly what it is. I've engineered this elaborate scheme to put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work in the midwest, just to lower my child support. How will I support my children? I don't know, and I know many people that may be in worse shape than me soon. If you would like to actually help someone with some advice then by all means do so, but if you just want to sit back and throw out some mindless, judgmental garbage please just shut up. You don't know me, my children, or anything about my family.
You still haven't stated why you changed user names and didn't refer back to any of your other threads.

Every one of your threads is about lowering child support. EVERY. Single. One. Even the ones you put in the child custody section.

And I know what you post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">