Closed Thread
    mariojk is offline Junior Member

child support modification

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
    I am about to be layed-off or fired due to plant closing. Can I get an immediate child support modification if I am on unemployment? If so, how? And how long will it take to take effect?
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Wasn't your last user name mariojustink?
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    CSO286 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mariojk View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
    I am about to be layed-off or fired due to plant closing.
    I'm sorry. If I were you. I'd start placing feelers out there for a new job.

Can I get an immediate child support modification if I am on unemployment?
    No. You need to request a modification, or file on your own. Though filing on your own might get you into court sooner.

If so, how? And how long will it take to take effect?
    Depends on how quickly you return CSED paperwork, then there is a set number of days allowed for the other party to return paperwork.

In some states and counties, CSED will send to both parties, in others only the requesting party and will not send to the other one until the paperwork comes back.

Then you're looking at a min of 20-30 days to get into court--if the courts aren't swamped and possibly up to 90. Then, it depends on the legal process: Is your ex going to fight it, will the magistrate want more info? That will take time.

Once he has everything he needs another 30-60 days for an order. It could be effective back to the date of filing, or it could be effective as of the date he signs the order.....
    [url=http://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=3732183]FreeAdvice Legal Forum - Search Results[/url]

You can't stop trying to lower your child support, now can you? First it was because you wanted your children 3 more days a month to get that magical 50/50 time and now you change your user name and want to talk about getting fired? How will you then support your children if you are currently living paycheck to paycheck?

And why did you change your username?
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CSO286 View Post
    I'm sorry. If I were you. I'd start placing feelers out there for a new job.

No. You need to request a modification, or file on your own. Though filing on your own might get you into court sooner.

Depends on how quickly you return CSED paperwork, then there is a set number of days allowed for the other party to return paperwork.

In some states and counties, CSED will send to both parties, in others only the requesting party and will not send to the other one until the paperwork comes back.

Then you're looking at a min of 20-30 days to get into court--if the courts aren't swamped and possibly up to 90. Then, it depends on the legal process: Is your ex going to fight it, will the magistrate want more info? That will take time.

Once he has everything he needs another 30-60 days for an order. It could be effective back to the date of filing, or it could be effective as of the date he signs the order.....
    Thank you, I appreciate your factual, non-judgmental, direct answer to my question. I already have my feelers out for a new job. I have been anticipating these lay offs for a little while. The problem will be finding a job in my area that pays anything close to what I'm currently making, and obviously unemployment won't pay the bills.

You're right

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    [url=http://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=3732183]FreeAdvice Legal Forum - Search Results[/url]

You can't stop trying to lower your child support, now can you? First it was because you wanted your children 3 more days a month to get that magical 50/50 time and now you change your user name and want to talk about getting fired? How will you then support your children if you are currently living paycheck to paycheck?

And why did you change your username?
    That's exactly what it is. I've engineered this elaborate scheme to put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work in the midwest, just to lower my child support. How will I support my children? I don't know, and I know many people that may be in worse shape than me soon. If you would like to actually help someone with some advice then by all means do so, but if you just want to sit back and throw out some mindless, judgmental garbage please just shut up. You don't know me, my children, or anything about my family.
    That's exactly what it is. I've engineered this elaborate scheme to put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work in the midwest, just to lower my child support. How will I support my children? I don't know, and I know many people that may be in worse shape than me soon. If you would like to actually help someone with some advice then by all means do so, but if you just want to sit back and throw out some mindless, judgmental garbage please just shut up. You don't know me, my children, or anything about my family.
    You still haven't stated why you changed user names and didn't refer back to any of your other threads.

Every one of your threads is about lowering child support. EVERY. Single. One. Even the ones you put in the child custody section.

And I know what you post here.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.