• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

7iron

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. Can my husband get his child support modified/reduced as he is supporting myself and my 3 kids, as their biological father is deceased. I thought I read some where there is an "exception" when a biological parent is deceased and now my husband is primary provider.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. Can my husband get his child support modified/reduced as he is supporting myself and my 3 kids, as their biological father is deceased. I thought I read some where there is an "exception" when a biological parent is deceased and now my husband is primary provider.
Are your children receiving survivor benefits from SSA?

Mayhaps you need to find a job to support your own children, while your husband continues to help support his children. :cool:

7iron

Are your children receiving survivor benefits from SSA?

Mayhaps you need to find a job to support your own children, while your husband continues to help support his children. :cool:
Only 2 of the three kids get survivor benefits, as one is in college. And I did have a job that was outsourced to the flippin Philippines...go figure and have applied for jobs with my degree on a FULL TIME basis...even after my surgery last week I'm being driven to an interview tomorrow... So my Husband is HAPPY to support myself and our children ...and is going to court to get his outrageous support for one child reduced :) Thursday.

LdiJ

Only 2 of the three kids get survivor benefits, as one is in college. And I did have a job that was outsourced to the flippin Philippines...go figure and have applied for jobs with my degree on a FULL TIME basis...even after my surgery last week I'm being driven to an interview tomorrow... So my Husband is HAPPY to support myself and our children ...and is going to court to get his outrageous support for one child reduced :) Thursday.
Your children will not be considered. One is not a minor and the other two are being supported by survivor's benefits.

7iron

Your children will not be considered. One is not a minor and the other two are being supported by survivor's benefits.
I read where there are exceptions in Ohio and he's primary supporter...we'll find out soon.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I read where there are exceptions in Ohio and he's primary supporter...we'll find out soon.
From the Ohio CS Statutes:
8. Adjustment for minor children born to or adopted by either parent and another parent who are living with this parent; adjustment does not apply to stepchildren (number of children times federal income tax exemption less child support received, not to exceed the federal tax exemption)******************************************...... $**************************** $****************************
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3119

So, no, your children don't matter to your husband's CS payments for his children. :cool:

LdiJ

From the Ohio CS Statutes:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3119

So, no, your children don't matter to your husband's CS payments for his children. :cool:
On top of that her children are also being supported by their own father, via SS survivor's benefits. She is ignoring that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is not legally responsible for your children. He is responsible for HIS children. Who is telling you that there are exceptions? Because there is no codification of such in the ORC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">