• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweets75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I have had a child support order in place since 1999. At the time, my ex was barely working and was ordered to pay $210/mo. He stopped paying for 5 years but kept promising to "catch up" and because I married and moved 5 hours away, I didn't press for it.

3 years ago he wanted to spend more time with his child and because my husband and I needed income to qualify for a mortgage I had child support enforced. Now he owes $7000 and pays $100 back support above regular child support - $310 total.

Now my son is 16 and with a new drivers license, needs insurance. He is in all college classes while still in HS and those are costly as well. In short, the food he eats per month is probably more than child support paid alone!

My ex works for out of state companies and travels all over now, I know he is making at least minimum wage. Therefore, I know I would qualify for a modification.

What I'm worried about is I am planning to file for a modification myself without an attorney. I am currently working on my Masters degree and I don't think we could afford the legal fees. It looks simple from the forms I've found, am I being naive to do this myself?

Pinkie39

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I have had a child support order in place since 1999. At the time, my ex was barely working and was ordered to pay $210/mo. He stopped paying for 5 years but kept promising to "catch up" and because I married and moved 5 hours away, I didn't press for it.

3 years ago he wanted to spend more time with his child and because my husband and I needed income to qualify for a mortgage I had child support enforced. Now he owes $7000 and pays $100 back support above regular child support - $310 total.

Now my son is 16 and with a new drivers license, needs insurance. He is in all college classes while still in HS and those are costly as well. In short, the food he eats per month is probably more than child support paid alone!

My ex works for out of state companies and travels all over now, I know he is making at least minimum wage. Therefore, I know I would qualify for a modification.

What I'm worried about is I am planning to file for a modification myself without an attorney. I am currently working on my Masters degree and I don't think we could afford the legal fees. It looks simple from the forms I've found, am I being naive to do this myself?

A bit off topic, but your son doesn't get free or reduced college tuition through the state, through one of those programs for high school students?

sweets75

Yes, to be clearer, the tuition for college courses are paid for except for his summer classes, which he started last summer; so we pay for those. His AP college credit courses he takes in HS we pay as well for books and $100+ for each of the exams he has to take to pass the class.

It really is OT, though, and I shouldn't have mentioned it since it doesn't matter, the law is the law and according to the RCW minimum child support for a child above the age of 12 in WA state is twice as much as his current support, even if he were making minimum wage, which he isn't.

I'm only concerned about filing without an attorney...

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes, to be clearer, the tuition for college courses are paid for except for his summer classes, which he started last summer; so we pay for those. His AP college credit courses he takes in HS we pay as well for books and $100+ for each of the exams he has to take to pass the class.

It really is OT, though, and I shouldn't have mentioned it since it doesn't matter, the law is the law and according to the RCW minimum child support for a child above the age of 12 in WA state is twice as much as his current support, even if he were making minimum wage, which he isn't.

I'm only concerned about filing without an attorney...
Then approach your local CSEA (Child Support Enforcement Agency; usually through the state's Family Services office). They should be able to help you.
https://www.dshs.wa.gov/esa/division-child-support

torimac

To add to the off topic, most states have some sort of dual credit program. My daughter will be starting one next fall. But only the classes are paid for. Books, fees, etc are not. For instance, the books for her math and English classes will be around $200.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">