• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification After Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildsoul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm the custodial parent with 85% timeshare. Self-employed, still recovering from the recession. Income is low. Supplementing my living expenses with savings from inheritance I received. The judge imputed minimum wage for my income.

Other parent (never married, non-custodial) had a pretty good paying job and was ordered to pay CS. He was not ordered to pay half of childcare (long story how he got out of it.)

Other parent just got fired. Involuntary unemployment. (Was in sales and didn't bring in what they wanted.)

I just received a packet in the mail from DCCS saying other parent asked for a CS review. (I'm self-represented right now.) I'm expecting that he will not have to pay CS because of being unemployed. What I'm worried about is if the judge can order me to pay the non-custodial parent CS out of my savings (that I need for myself and our child.) Is that possible?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm the custodial parent with 85% timeshare. Self-employed, still recovering from the recession. Income is low. Supplementing my living expenses with savings from inheritance I received. The judge imputed minimum wage for my income.

Other parent (never married, non-custodial) had a pretty good paying job and was ordered to pay CS. He was not ordered to pay half of childcare (long story how he got out of it.)

Other parent just got fired. Involuntary unemployment. (Was in sales and didn't bring in what they wanted.)

I just received a packet in the mail from DCCS saying other parent asked for a CS review. (I'm self-represented right now.) I'm expecting that he will not have to pay CS because of being unemployed. What I'm worried about is if the judge can order me to pay the non-custodial parent CS out of my savings (that I need for myself and our child.) Is that possible?
The likelihood is slim and none that you would have to pay the other parent. And the NCP may very well be ordered to still pay child support but NOT what he is currently paying.

wildsoul

The likelihood is slim and none that you would have to pay the other parent. And the NCP may very well be ordered to still pay child support but NOT what he is currently paying.
Thanks for replying Ohiogal. That makes me feel a little better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">