• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification a few questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trainer1

What is the name of your state CA

The CSSD is handling my child support case and recently sent me paperwork saying the other parent is requesting a review.

They said I had 20 days to respond to paperwork (which included income expense declaration, request for paycheck stubs etc. ) but literally 3 days after I received this, I got another notice from CSSD saying they sent my employer a request for income verification. I'm a little annoyed that they took it upon themselves to contact my employer for income information before allowing me the allotted amount of time to provide the information myself. So what is the point of sending them anything at this point. If I don't respond will it really matter since the CSSD is just going to see that there are grounds for a child support increase, file the paperwork with the court to modify, and I'm going to have to appear in court and bring all financial information to that anyways, correct?

How exactly does a CSSD modification work? Do they have jurisdiction to change the amount of child support based on information they collect from both parents and adjust the amount without anyone ever having to go to court? Will they come up with an amount and try to get both parents to agree or stipulate before requesting a hearing? I'm really confused as to what role they play as the middle man in all this.

Also, I am sure my ex is going to claim my visitation has decreased in an effort to collect more support. There is a court ordered custody arrangement that states I have about 40% time. However, it has been about 7 years since that order was established, and my daughter is 17 now. I give her the option of coming to visit me since she has a lot going on with sports, school and friends so not all court visitation is exercised. There have been times when I've asked her to come over on my scheduled weekend and she claims she can't because she has to babysit her younger sibling while her mom "goes to work." Ex has never been known to work, so this was interesting to me. CSSD is asking for visitation arrangements, so do I provide them with the current custody agreement and claim the 40% time?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

What is the name of your state CA

The CSSD is handling my child support case and recently sent me paperwork saying the other parent is requesting a review.

They said I had 20 days to respond to paperwork (which included income expense declaration, request for paycheck stubs etc. ) but literally 3 days after I received this, I got another notice from CSSD saying they sent my employer a request for income verification. I'm a little annoyed that they took it upon themselves to contact my employer for income information before allowing me the allotted amount of time to provide the information myself. So what is the point of sending them anything at this point. If I don't respond will it really matter since the CSSD is just going to see that there are grounds for a child support increase, file the paperwork with the court to modify, and I'm going to have to appear in court and bring all financial information to that anyways, correct?

How exactly does a CSSD modification work? Do they have jurisdiction to change the amount of child support based on information they collect from both parents and adjust the amount without anyone ever having to go to court? Will they come up with an amount and try to get both parents to agree or stipulate before requesting a hearing? I'm really confused as to what role they play as the middle man in all this.

Also, I am sure my ex is going to claim my visitation has decreased in an effort to collect more support. There is a court ordered custody arrangement that states I have about 40% time. However, it has been about 7 years since that order was established, and my daughter is 17 now. I give her the option of coming to visit me since she has a lot going on with sports, school and friends so not all court visitation is exercised. There have been times when I've asked her to come over on my scheduled weekend and she claims she can't because she has to babysit her younger sibling while her mom "goes to work." Ex has never been known to work, so this was interesting to me. CSSD is asking for visitation arrangements, so do I provide them with the current custody agreement and claim the 40% time?

Thank you in advance!

YOU have 20 days ...
the state doesn't need that much time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">