• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support from MY income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davendeb2001

What is the name of your state? New York
My fiance and I would love to get married but I have heard that the ex could be eligible for part of MY income as child support Their youngest is 18 and graduating from High School next month, then planning on 2-6 more years of college. HIs divorce decree states he's responsible for child support til the child is 18 and out of high school, or 25 if still in college. I don't want to wait 7 more years, but on the other hand I don't want HER getting any of my money either! Whats your advice?
Thanks alot.

BelizeBreeze

davendeb2001 said:
My fiance and I would love to get married but I have heard that the ex could be eligible for part of MY income as child support Their youngest is 18 and graduating from High School next month, then planning on 2-6 more years of college. HIs divorce decree states he's responsible for child support til the child is 18 and out of high school, or 25 if still in college. I don't want to wait 7 more years, but on the other hand I don't want HER getting any of my money either! Whats your advice?
Thanks alot.
she can't touch YOUR money so whomever told you this is an idiot. The court may, if there is a great disportionate gap between your fiance's income and the ex's (which would include your income and any shared assets), decide to levy more support against your finance because with combined incomes there is more 'available'.

However, nothing can be done with anything you 'OWN' and the court has no jurisdiction over you in any regard until you marry.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
davendeb2001 said:
Thanks alot.
I'd love to know how he got this, since NYS guidelines call for support to age 21.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">