• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Negotiation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RicGray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My child support agreement is up for negotiation where I believe that due to changes in circumstance my support obligations will be lowered. What do I need to do to prevent my ex's lawyer from using delay as a tactic as she has done in the past? Are there forms that can be filed at the beginning of the negotiation that ensures that the modification settlement is retro-active to the beginning of negotiations?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

CJane

In most states, the modified obligation is retroactive to the month (or sometimes exact date) of service of the modification request. Sometimes to date of filing. But there's not a lot you can do to prevent stalling in the process.

If I were you, I'd run the numbers through here: https://fortress.wa.gov/dshs/csips/ssgen/ to get an idea of what the new/modified amount might be.

RicGray

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

Do I need all of our information before filing the modification request or can I start the process by filing and then getting her information?

CJane

Thank you for your reply.

Do I need all of our information before filing the modification request or can I start the process by filing and then getting her information?
Go here: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/dcs/receive.asp#r4 Scroll all the way to the bottom, to where it says "What if I want to modify a child support order on my own?". There are links to assist you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">