• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support from a non US citizen, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chloy1

Hi,i live in Nevada and met a nice guy working here from Australia. we didnt take long before falling in love and deciding to have a baby. I got pregnant shortly afterwards and i am now about 3 months along. We are now fighting over stupid things, and he no longer wants this baby, he wants me to have an abortion which i dont want. My question is, can i still receive child support? His paychecks all go to an australian bank account so he said a judge could never make him pay. He has a very good job and is more than capable than helping me pay for this baby that we purposely made. He is here on a visa waiver so has to return to aus. every three months. everything has gone very wrong, very quickly and i think its highly unfair he doesnt think he has to support me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

nextwife

i think its highly unfair he doesnt think he has to support me.
If you go full term and deliver, you can file then file for paternity establishment and child support. This non-spouse will never have any responsibility of supporting YOU.

If paternity is established, your ability to collect CS will depend on where he is living and his employment. It is possible to get international child support established, if a Hague Convention country is involved. The CS will be his share of support for the child. You will also be expected to support the child.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Hi,i live in Nevada and met a nice guy working here from Australia. we didnt take long before falling in love and deciding to have a baby. I got pregnant shortly afterwards and i am now about 3 months along. We are now fighting over stupid things, and he no longer wants this baby, he wants me to have an abortion which i dont want. My question is, can i still receive child support? His paychecks all go to an australian bank account so he said a judge could never make him pay. He has a very good job and is more than capable than helping me pay for this baby that we purposely made. He is here on a visa waiver so has to return to aus. every three months. everything has gone very wrong, very quickly and i think its highly unfair he doesnt think he has to support me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

He's also working illegally - you do realize that, don't you?

Antigone*

Why on earth should this man support you? You are no one to him and he has no obligation to support you just because you slept together.

nextwife

He is here NOW. Who knows where he will be six months from now? And as stated, he cannot and should not work in the US under that visa.

chloy1

no it is all done through his work, he is here on contract, thats why he has to return to aus. for a few weeks every three months. he gets made aus. dollara from an aus. company. anyway, im not concerned about that

Antigone*

no it is all done through his work, he is here on contract, thats why he has to return to aus. for a few weeks every three months. he gets made aus. dollara from an aus. company. anyway, im not concerned about that
It doesn't matter anyway. He is under no obligation to support you

chloy1

not sure what this forum is about, i was wanting advice on child support. everything is very legit, there is many australians here working for the same company as he does, i dont think you understand what im saying, he doesnt get paid from an american company, and yes he may not be here but your husband may leave you too, noone can see the future, he is working on getting transfered here nd getting a visa to stay. anyway, thanks for the non help!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
i think its highly unfair he doesnt think he has to support me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Well, *I* think it's highly unfair that you two decided to play games with a child's life. You barely knew each other and decided to make a baby. Now you're shocked that he's not the Mr. Wonderful that you thought he was. Have the baby, give it to a mature couple, and go on playing your little bedtime games with every Tom, Dick and Harry. Seriously. And consider getting fixed so you don't find yourself in this situation again.

Proserpina

Then he's not on the Visa Waiver.

Trust me on this one. If you enter using the Visa Waiver, you CANNOT work in the US - period. His Australian company might be paying him illegally to stay here and do whatever it is, but that's NOT kosher. The Visa Waiver program allows a tourist to enter without having to go through the pain of obtaining an actual tourist visa (that's the whole point of it, actually), but it absolutely does NOT authorize employment. At all.

I'm not going to toot my own horn here, but I'd guess I know more about how immigration works with family law than the vast majority of responders.

I know what I'm talking about, to put it bluntly.

And you SHOULD be worried about it.

Proserpina

not sure what this forum is about, i was wanting advice on child support. everything is very legit, there is many australians here working for the same company as he does, i dont think you understand what im saying, he doesnt get paid from an american company, and yes he may not be here but your husband may leave you too, noone can see the future, he is working on getting transfered here nd getting a visa to stay. anyway, thanks for the non help!

It.
Is.
Not.
Legit.

Understand? That's what a B1 or other visa would be for. NOT the VWP.

So what you need to do, is file for child support after the child is born.

Antigone*

It.
Is.
Not.
Legit.

Understand? That's what a B1 or other visa would be for. NOT the VWP.

So what you need to do, is to establish paternity and then after the child is born.
Slight correction, Pro, honey. I fixed it for you. ;). No proof this man is the baby daddy.

mistoffolees

What the heck are you whining about?

You asked a question and you got correct legal answers. He has no obligation to support you. After the baby is born, you can file for paternity and child support. Your ability to collect will depend at least partially on where he's living at the time. If he's living in the U.S., it will not be as difficult as if he's living in Timbuktu. Even in the U.S., though, an order for support is not a guarantee that you'll actually receive anything.

Just what advice did you expect?

Oh, I know. He'll be required to pay you $250,000 per year for the rest of your life and pay for your manicures and pedicures, as well. You will also receive $500,000 a year in child support for your child until the child is 45. Also, there will be a court order that he will never be able to contact you or the child as long as he lives and an injunction preventing his ghost from haunting you if he dies first.

There. Happy now? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">