• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support not enough

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmby13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Can a judge force my ex-girlfriend to pay more child support? I have 2 boys and she pays 50 per month. she refuses to work full time because she said she will not work more to pay more.She used to make 12 an hour befor we seperated I know that dead beat dads get hung for this crap why do the mothers have a choice. She is able to work full time at a job and make more but refuses. Why in court do the judges tell a male that you are to pay this amount and if you can not afford it go get a job, but when it is reversed they don't???What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

Can a judge force my ex-girlfriend to pay more child support? I have 2 boys and she pays 50 per month. she refuses to work full time because she said she will not work more to pay more.She used to make 12 an hour befor we seperated I know that dead beat dads get hung for this crap why do the mothers have a choice. She is able to work full time at a job and make more but refuses. Why in court do the judges tell a male that you are to pay this amount and if you can not afford it go get a job, but when it is reversed they don't???What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
When was the support ordered?

BL

The Judge hears the arguments and looks at the financial affidavits.

The question was posed as to when this order was made?

How long ago did she make $12 an hr. ?

What kind of degree does she have that could be veiwed as she is capable of making the same ?

Hearing officers look at the totality of what is put in front of them by both sides .

New York State Child Support Standards Act.

New York Child Support Standards Act - Child Support Worksheet | divorcenet.com

http://forms.lp.findlaw.com/form/courtforms/state/ny/ny000481.pdf

Plus + In the "exercise of discretion" the court may attribute or impute income from "any resources", including:

jmby13

Child Support

When was the support ordered?
It was ordered 3 years ago. Thats my main gripe here. She has had 3 years to find a job and now she gets a part time job only to prove she was trying. But i find it hard to beleive that in 3 years she cant find a full time job. She lives with her parents no bills no other children. She can work anytime without worrying about child care or anything. She only gets them every other weekend.

Isis1

It was ordered 3 years ago. Thats my main gripe here. She has had 3 years to find a job and now she gets a part time job only to prove she was trying. But i find it hard to beleive that in 3 years she cant find a full time job. She lives with her parents no bills no other children. She can work anytime without worrying about child care or anything. She only gets them every other weekend.
usually 3 years is a good time to ask for a review. you can also ask that mom be inputted at a full time minimum wage job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My daughter has almost gone 2 years with no luck in finding a job. Lives with her parents (us), no bills, no children at all. Have you noticed that it's hard to get a job in the current economy?

jmby13

Child Support

I understand the economy is tuff but if the roles were reversed would the judge have that leniency?? And they are still her children. So what happens when i lose my job. does that mean everyone else should take care of my children?? No i would have to go find work and if i had to.. work 2 jobs.

Like Isis said go file to have a review done. What was she making when the judge ordered CS?

My daughter has almost gone 2 years with no luck in finding a job. Lives with her parents (us), no bills, no children at all. Have you noticed that it's hard to get a job in the current economy?
I am curious, I have seen you all constantly tell men that they are willfully unemployed and that they could be ordered to pay CS on what they could be making. You tell this guy oh poor mother its a tough economy and hard to get a job. How about some consistency?

jmby13

usually 3 years is a good time to ask for a review. you can also ask that mom be inputted at a full time minimum wage job.
Thank you for your input. I will look into that. But she worked before making ok money and that was just before the order. Look im not looking to to live off the money she sends but she has no other involvement with them except on her weekends. For crying out loud it cost me more in gas to drop them off and pick them up from her than she pays a month.

Isis1

Thank you for your input. I will look into that. But she worked before making ok money and that was just before the order. Look im not looking to to live off the money she sends but she has no other involvement with them except on her weekends. For crying out loud it cost me more in gas to drop them off and pick them up from her than she pays a month.
why are you doing all the transportation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am curious, I have seen you all constantly tell men that they are willfully unemployed and that they could be ordered to pay CS on what they could be making. You tell this guy oh poor mother its a tough economy and hard to get a job. How about some consistency?
This mom has been unemployed for over 3 years. I would be telling a woman the same thing.

jmby13

Like Isis said go file to have a review done. What was she making when the judge ordered CS?

Thats the whole problem with the family court system. They don't apply equal responsibility. Like i stated in earlier, If roles were reversed i would be a deadbeat dad avoiding CS. But when its the mother they find all sorts of excuses.

BL

Did you even read my post and look up the Standard's act ?

As was said , if you were in the possision and didn't have a degree , and just could not find full time work , the court would follow the standrd'a act .

Little or no income = $50.00 per month . Use to be $25 .

What did the court say when you told them what Mom told you about not working full time so she don't have to pay more ?

What was said when she has no expenses ?

You have to also look at what is deemed the level for little or no income .

jmby13

Yes.
Crying about being the victim because you are the man will get you nowhere.
Not crying about being a man looking for some consistency in this matter. I have a friend where he has been unemployed for 2 years and guess what judge told him?? Go get a job or go to jail. why not do that to the dead beat mothers out there. I would understand your point but she is 45 more than able to work chooses to party and be with friends over her children. Thats the problem. So No not crying about being a male victim but i am crying about the unequal justice that is served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">