• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support not registered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChloesDad

What is the name of your state? California
I just went to court on the 13th, and found out that the support order I have been paying into for the last 9 years was never registered with the state. Can a state collect support without registering the order?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ChloesDad said:
What is the name of your state? California
I just went to court on the 13th, and found out that the support order I have been paying into for the last 9 years was never registered with the state. Can a state collect support without registering the order?

My response:

Registered? Do you mean "filed"; i.e., file stamped by the clerk?

In any event, if there was a filing error, it can be "fixed" by the court, "Nunc Pro Tunc".

The child still needed the necessities of life, so your money wasn't wasted, and you still had an obligation.

So, what's your point?

IAAL

ChloesDad

So then, the answer is yes? (not registered or filed) Just a question. :D She also filed with 5 other counties, all trying to collect the same amount for the same child at the same time (this is being resolved)- I live in Montana, she lives in California, and now she is so angry with me for a recent reduction in support that she is making it difficult to see my child.

Last edited:

USMOM

Uifsa

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act states that the first court to take jurisdiction has continuing and exclusive jurisdiction. While there are specified reasons that may move jurisdiction from one court to another, only one court has jurisdiction at a time. Inform the other courts which one was first. If you are talking about her filing with child support collection agencies in 5 counties, let them know that more than one agency is trying to collect on the same order. By the way, if you are talking about registering an order by a court in another court so collections can take place, the term is registering according to this act which all states are parties to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">