• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this child support order still valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

niquern

Maryland-
Before me and my ex-husband got married, there was an order for child support. The child support was being paid through the local child support enforcement agency. When we got married we went in and closed our case with the agency. We are now divorced and because I didn't know where he was working the judge didn't issue a judgement for child support and told me to go through the agency again. I am wondering whether or not the first order is still valid. When I went through the agency, they have me down as modifying the order. It has been four years and each time they find him, he leaves that job. The agency is really not focusing on my case, they are more focused on the welfare cases. But if my old order is still valid, I really don't need the agency, I can just go file for a motion for contempt. Does anyone have any ideas?

niquern

averad said:
So when you called the agency to check what did they say?
In Maryland, you have to call a 1-800 number. The customer service person will only give you what is in her computer. You can only ask questions to a case worker. In order to talk to a case worker, the customer service person has to put in a work order in order for the case worker to call you back. The work order can take up to 30 business days for them to return your call. You are never given a direct number for a case worker, they can only call you, you can't call them. So I was just trying to get some information while I waited.

MrsK

niquern said:
Maryland-
Before me and my ex-husband got married, there was an order for child support. The child support was being paid through the local child support enforcement agency. When we got married we went in and closed our case with the agency. We are now divorced and because I didn't know where he was working the judge didn't issue a judgement for child support and told me to go through the agency again. I am wondering whether or not the first order is still valid. When I went through the agency, they have me down as modifying the order. It has been four years and each time they find him, he leaves that job. The agency is really not focusing on my case, they are more focused on the welfare cases. But if my old order is still valid, I really don't need the agency, I can just go file for a motion for contempt. Does anyone have any ideas?
Well, you could always apply for some type of welfare, if it seems to light a fire under their asses. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">