• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support paid for which month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrs.army

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My hubby just went through a modification of child support. It states "effective 1 August 2011..." so he changed his allottment to the new amount effective 1 August. Just trying to get some advice for him since the lawyer isn't open on Sundays. Basically asking if child support is paid monthly for the current month or the previous month? (i.e. his August 1st payment is for August or for July?) Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

mistoffolees

My hubby just went through a modification of child support. It states "effective 1 August 2011..." so he changed his allottment to the new amount effective 1 August. Just trying to get some advice for him since the lawyer isn't open on Sundays. Basically asking if child support is paid monthly for the current month or the previous month? (i.e. his August 1st payment is for August or for July?) Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
What is the rest of the order for cs?

If we know the exact wording, we can probably answer the question.

In most cases, the order says something like "due on the first of each month" which would mean that the CS is for THAT month, not the previous month.

Just Blue

As an attorney is involved perhaps waiting till 9 am tomorrow morning would be best. :rolleyes:

CJane

If the modification is effective "1 August", then the modified amount is what is due as of Aug 1.

I don't even understand why there'd be confusion about it or why you'd waste $250 an hour to ask an attorney about it.

mrs.army

We didn't think there was an issue with the payments and thye effective date of the modification; but his ex did. She created quite a fuss at him over the phone about us needing to pay her more due to it being paid at the end of the month for the whole previous month, which made no sense at all...especially because we know she gets paid from his 1st of the month paychecks (so on the 1st of the month she gets paid for that month). We just wanted to be sure though, because if we truely did owe her the extra money for one more month, we would give it to her.

However, from your responses, and more checking into the laws here (via Google) I'm sure we were correct in that the new effective date of 1 August meant that the amount changed as of the 1 August payments. Thank you for your advice...it doesn't state that the payments should be made on the 1st, but that's what they have been since they separated, so they have just stayed on that date since then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">