• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Payment Question for Nevada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commishaffl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I have recently gotten divorced and my ex wife is living with me temporarily while she finds her own place to live. I am required to pay $670 a month in child support.
Do I have to pay her the child support while she is still living with me?

We had come to an arrangement via email that she would pay me $400 a month while living with me and that child support payments would start after she moved out.
Now she is backing out of the arrangement.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you have to pay as the court has ordered.

If you have an agreement for her to pay rent, then she should be paying rent.

Zigner

Even if we have an agreement that child support begins AFTER she moves out?

Thanks.
It's called a court order for a reason. Now, if you get receipts from her saying you paid the child support and then she simply hands it back to you, that's another matter...but that's not what you are doing.

commishaffl

Thank you again for your help.

One last thing:

When is the first child support payment due? The judge signed the devorce decree document 08/22/14.

Is the first payment due sometime in the month of September?

Zigner

Thank you again for your help.

One last thing:

When is the first child support payment due? The judge signed the devorce decree document 08/22/14.

Is the first payment due sometime in the month of September?
The order should give a starting date. Absent a starting date, I would aim for 9/1/14 as the first due date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">