• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Payment Reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pgwizdz

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have married a person who has joint legal custody and sole physical custody of her two children. Her ex husband pays monthly child support per their divorce agreement. Does the fact that my wife is now married to me and lives off of my income allow the ex husband to reduce his child support payment?

Silverplum

I have married a person who has joint legal custody and sole physical custody of her two children. Her ex husband pays monthly child support per their divorce agreement. Does the fact that my wife is now married to me and lives off of my income allow the ex husband to reduce his child support payment?
I doubt it. Google Michigan CS calculations and find out.

Perky

He cannot arbitrarily decide to lower the amount on his own since the support was court ordered.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The short answer is no, as in the X doesn't get to pay less because you are now supporting your wife and her portion of the obligation to support the children. When the time comes to have it reevaluated, then an income will be imputed for the wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">