• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support = Poor House for sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gorstone

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My sister has been paying child support to her ex (married but divorced before the children were born). She has since changed jobs (huge pay cut) cannot afford to pay child support, rent, lawyer fees etc. Due to the court agreement she cannot move more than 12 miles away from her ex to a more affordable area of town. The share 50/50 custody of the three children. The ex has the house, boat etc...he set himself up during the relationship-her name was never on anything-she was not savvy to how aweful the ex really was. She is forced to live in a two bedroom appartment because of the whole situation. She is short $500 to $600 every month on living expences...she is not a shopper...very good with money does not waste money on things that are not necessary.
Any help or advice would be real helpful.
Thank you

Gorstone

She was laid off and her field of work has been effected by major cutbacks. Cellular Tower Industry (the best way to describe what she does).

VeronicaGia

Gorstone said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My sister has been paying child support to her ex (married but divorced before the children were born). She has since changed jobs (huge pay cut) cannot afford to pay child support, rent, lawyer fees etc. Due to the court agreement she cannot move more than 12 miles away from her ex to a more affordable area of town. The share 50/50 custody of the three children. The ex has the house, boat etc...he set himself up during the relationship-her name was never on anything-she was not savvy to how aweful the ex really was. She is forced to live in a two bedroom appartment because of the whole situation. She is short $500 to $600 every month on living expences...she is not a shopper...very good with money does not waste money on things that are not necessary.
Any help or advice would be real helpful.
Thank you
Sounds like she'll need to get a second job. CA can impute income to her based on what she was making when she was working at a higher paying job.

Keep in mind that CS agencies don't care if obligors are living in boxes on the street; they have to pay or go to jail. They don't care if she cannot afford rent, food, utilities, whatever.

I will say I don't understand why they told her she couldn't move. Usually moveaway clauses are there for the custodial parent, not the non-custodial parent. She may want to re-read her court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">