• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support PRETRIAL - what for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schwippsy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hi,
We have been in and out of court for the last 6 years. What my ex has been orderd to pay for our children per month, he has never even paid in a full year. Every time we go back to court ( every 8-10 months on his terms) his lawyer manages to run over the State's Attorney and $8k-$10k are taken off the arreage each time. So far my kids have been robbed of over $34k. My ex had a great job and now claims that he does not even have enough money to drive to his part time job. Last time we went to court they said with what he makes right now, the current court order does not make any more sense and we are going to Pretrial in a few weeks again.

I would like to understand what that means? Are they going to start all over again and neglect the orders from the past?

Is this justice system making decisions for the kids or for the deadbeats ( woman or man)? I cannot afford a lawyer. I do not understand where there is the justice for the kids and if I even should waste my time going to the court date. He is not required to come, since he does not have gas money. Even his lawyer knows it is a big lie.:(

Thanks for your time and answers.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hi,
We have been in and out of court for the last 6 years. What my ex has been orderd to pay for our children per month, he has never even paid in a full year. Every time we go back to court ( every 8-10 months on his terms) his lawyer manages to run over the State's Attorney and $8k-$10k are taken off the arreage each time. So far my kids have been robbed of over $34k. My ex had a great job and now claims that he does not even have enough money to drive to his part time job. Last time we went to court they said with what he makes right now, the current court order does not make any more sense and we are going to Pretrial in a few weeks again.

I would like to understand what that means? Are they going to start all over again and neglect the orders from the past?

Is this justice system making decisions for the kids or for the deadbeats ( woman or man)? I cannot afford a lawyer. I do not understand where there is the justice for the kids and if I even should waste my time going to the court date. He is not required to come, since he does not have gas money. Even his lawyer knows it is a big lie.:(

Thanks for your time and answers.
Have you filed with the state child support enforcement agency to collect the money? If so, they should be able to help you.

If he's working part time voluntarily, he can be imputed an income based on what he was making before. But you have to ask for it - and be able to defend it.

Call your CSE agency for help.

CSO286

Call CSED. Are they enforincg your order for you?

If you are not on any type of public assistance, you can apply for child support serivces for about $25 (one time fee) and they will enforce your court order for you.

They also have some enforcement at their disposal that you might not have access to without an attorney.

Sometimes things can take a bit longer ,but thye are pretty darn effrective....if I do say so myself.:D

Schwippsy

More details - thanks for your feedback.

Yes, child support is being enforced through CSE and the money goes through them and then to my account. The State's Attorney's Office is working with the CSE to work on my case, but I always feel like the State's Attorney is making some sort of deal with the lawyers of my ex that are in no way in the best interest of our kids. I also do not understand the judge in catering to my ex and let him get away with not working or doing small jobs.

It is known fact that my ex purposely quit a high paying job and left the country to escape from his responsibilities. He is only back here because they took his passport. My ex purposely has reduced the official working hours at a new employer so that maybe 20 bucks are being send every 2 weeks. He is never broke, he is making income with other sources that might not show up on his SSN, but I have no proof of it. I just know him, he is not the type of broke guy.
I did ask for the order to be a reasonable amount since he made very good income and owned lots of properties. However they say that was back then and now he has no money to pay even for gas.
A blind person can see that this is all big nonsense. I simply do not understand how the justice system let's people get away like this and what is supposed to be achieved with a retrial?
I am struggeling but am proud to not depend on anybody to make it. I know many other single parents depend on the system because of the deadbeats. Basically the tax payer pays for all these services because deadbeat parents are irresponsible. How can a judge support this kind of action? Every time I come out of court, I am totally puzzled that there is nothing done to support the children. I actually do not want to go anymore tp these court dates ( and that is what he is hoping for), but I feel like I owe it to my children.
So again, in a retrial they will set eveything back to zero and start over again, is that it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">