• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbenton

What is the name of your state? Texas
My ex and I now share equal time with our daughter, and presently I pay child support. We both live in the same city, and she goes to the same school. If we agreed to share all her expenses equally, if we both agreed to it, would it be possible to get it legalized so that neither of us paid child support, or does one parent have to pay the other?

Ultimately it is up to the Judge to decide whether or not this would be in the best interest of the child. Conservators are permitted to submit an agreement outside of the guidelines to be signed by the Judge but again it is the Judge's discretion to determine whether or not it would be in the child's best interest.

djohnson

ditto, but add that the reason for this is because just because you agree to this now doesn't mean you always will. The first time one of your wants to put her in dance and the other disagrees, or when one thinks she needs new shoes and the other says wait, or when she needs a new coat and one of you doesn't have the money, it will become an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">