• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ravi35

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Going to court in 2 weeks for child support modification. Paid me $116 a month for 3 years. Was reviewed and modified (increased to $300) by CSEA this past Nov., he objected so an administrative hearing was held in Dec (raised to $400) because of evidence I presented. He again objected and now it is going before a judge. He has already postponed it once and I'm sure when we go down in 2 weeks, he'll request another postponement. He does not have any contact with his son (who will be 7 in June). I know he'll get away with not having to pay me more than the $116 that he has been paying. He seems to have luck on his side. My question is how far back can you go to obtain back support? When I finally got the nerve to take him to court to establish paternity, my son was 2. After all the postponements in the beginning, things finally got settled when my son was going on 4. He had to pay arrearages from the time paternity was established. Can I sue him for the first 2 years when he didn't pay anything? By the way he is self employed and sells items on ebay. He brings in between $4,000- $6,000 a month. And he is not responsible for any other obligations such as insurance or any medical bills. He does not support any other children.

Last edited:

GrowUp!

ravi35 said:
Can I sue him for the first 2 years when he didn't pay anything?
Why should he pay when there wasn't an order for him to, especially when you just admitted you withheld going after him. Your chance to pursue back support was when the order was established.

BelizeBreeze

While retroactive support IS allowable under your state statutes, and while it usually runs from either the birth of the child or the filing of the motion for support, you already have a support order in place which does not address the first two years.

The time to have filed for retroactive support would have been during the initial hearing.

nextwife

ravi35 said:
He brings in between $4,000- $6,000 a month. And he is not responsible for any other obligations such as insurance or any medical bills. He does not support any other children.
If he brings in $4000 to $6000 month, what is his cost of the goods, etc? Is that his GROSS income? There must be a COST of the items he is selling. One doesn't make 100% profit selling on ebay - everything sold COSTS something.

My husbands previous employer had an online ebay store. The items sold FOR cost, just to get rid of samples and misprints. But they couldn't even sell them for enough to actually pull a profit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">