• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onemoore99

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband and his ex wife have joint custody,legally the kids are supposed to be with her with my husband getting them everyother weekend but they had verbally agreed on she having them 7 days and then he has them 7 days with him paying her child support. Now the kids have been with us full time since Sept.2005 because his exwife moved to another town with her boyfriend and the kids wanted to stay here where they had their school and friends. We(my husband and I) feel that he shouldn't be paying any child support being as we have them full time and she only sees them about once every two weeks(her choice) Should he be paying her and if she does move back to our town should he be paying her if hey go back to 7/7?He did have the custody modified approx 6mos.agobefore she moved to another town and left the kids in our custody only because she was willing to sign the papers to have it legal as for as costody goes but she wasn't willing to drop the child support. She says that she can't survive on her own uf we don't pay her the child support. She uses the kids as a tool to get him to do what ever she wants saying that if he tries to take her back to court she will fight for full custody and she will then take them to another town. He does not want take joint custody away from her he just wants the monetary issue straightened out.We have been paying for everythung for the children as far as medical,school,personal items,etc... She says that even though we are paying for it all she still deserves her child support because she is their mother.She even filed them on her taxes this year so that she could use them as a deduction. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

I believe

He needs to pay her per the court order until it is modified.

Here is a child support calculator for Illinois

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/illinois/

It appears that the amount of time with each parent is not taken into account, but that custodial parent is the one that gets paid.

Not legal advice, but it looks like he would have to have a change in custody before child support would be stopped. Stick around for the legal experts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">