• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sasssysar21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have court ordered child support, and in that child support order my ex is supposed to pay a percentage of any health/dental/eye care. I submit him the bills within 30 days to him and he reimburses me his amount. Anyway my son needs braces, and he said he doesn't have to reimburse me any amount because it is cosmetic procedure. I just wanted to see if this was true before I took this any further. Also last week he just had a new baby with another woman, and he is telling me that since he has two kids now he doesn't owe me as much, and he is going to file for a modification, and that since he is overpaying me now he won't have to pay anything for a while until I am "caught up" with what he is overpaying me since he has another kid now. Is this true? Thank you.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have court ordered child support, and in that child support order my ex is supposed to pay a percentage of any health/dental/eye care. I submit him the bills within 30 days to him and he reimburses me his amount. Anyway my son needs braces, and he said he doesn't have to reimburse me any amount because it is cosmetic procedure. I just wanted to see if this was true before I took this any further.
Does anyone even TRY to search for things? This question has been asked and answered a thousand times.

First, you need to get out your court order to see what it says. Tell us the medical/dental part word for word but without the names.

Second, braces can be cosmetic or they can be medically necessary. Only an orthodontist who has examined the child can answer that. What does the orthodontist say? Is it medically necessary?

Also last week he just had a new baby with another woman, and he is telling me that since he has two kids now he doesn't owe me as much, and he is going to file for a modification, and that since he is overpaying me now he won't have to pay anything for a while until I am "caught up" with what he is overpaying me since he has another kid now. Is this true? Thank you.
In most states, additional children have no impact on court ordered child support. The court assumes that existing children don't eat less or stop needing shelter just because someone wants to have more. The court also assumes that you shouldn't be having more unless you can afford it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">