• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peachgranny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia

My son and his wife separated last week. They have three minor children who are in the home with their mother. My son is not currently working, but is in the process of resolving a medical issue and then will be looking for employment. (They have been married almost 15 years and he was employed for 14 of those years)

What is required as far as child support at this time? There haven't been any legal papers filed at this point.

Thanks for your help.
Staylor

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please have sonny sign on and ask his own questions. He should have plenty of time available to do so.

CSO286

Georgia

My son and his wife separated last week. They have three minor children who are in the home with their mother. My son is not currently working, but is in the process of resolving a medical issue and then will be looking for employment. (They have been married almost 15 years and he was employed for 14 of those years)

What is required as far as child support at this time? There haven't been any legal papers filed at this point.

Thanks for your help.
Staylor
Once paperwork is filed, Dad can be expect to be imputed (assigned) wages equal to full time minumum wage employment. (Monthly wages of $1256). If mom is unemployed or underemployed, she could be assigned the same amount.

Have your son start learning here:

http://ocse.dhr.georgia.gov/portal/site/DHS-OCSE/menuitem.f3ca900e75789bd18e738510da1010a0/?vgnextoid=bd5a10ad92000010VgnVCM100000bf01010aRCRD]Georgia Department of Human Services - The Child Support Process

https://cscalc.gaaoc.us/

http://ocse.dhr.georgia.gov/portal/site/DHS-OCSE/]Georgia Department of Human Services - Home

peachgranny

He does not have a computer available to him at this time. He simply asked me to help gather some general information. Thanks for your help

Just Blue

He does not have a computer available to him at this time. He simply asked me to help gather some general information. Thanks for your help
His local library has a computer. He can use that to gather his own info..As he should as an adult.:)

Are you saying that you will not allow your son to come over and use your computer? He doesn't have any friends that have a computer?

Library as stated is another viable option.

mistoffolees

Georgia

Thanks for your help.
Staylor
To answer your specific question, NOTHING is required for child support until the court orders it. The court may order it retroactively to the date that the wife files for it, but that's not guaranteed - it might also start on the date of the court order.

peachgranny

Blue Meanie,
I hope that your child/children never ever fall on hard times and need your help.
If that ever happens, I hope people are kind.
Staylor

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Blue Meanie,
I hope that your child/children never ever fall on hard times and need your help.
Staylor
However, HE is more knowledgeable as to his exact situation than you are. As such, it would be helpful to get the information directly from him.

Thanks.

peachgranny

He can use my computer anytime....there are transportation issues right now
which will all be worked out in time. The child support is just something he was very concerned about.

The answer specifically regarding child support is due after being ordered by the court is helpful - thanks. As long as he isn't in violation of anything right this very minute - it will all get worked out. It's only been a few days, but she already wants to know where her money is**************

By the way, he worked for 14 years and much of that she was a stay at home mom, or worked part-time. He was a successful self employed stone mason most of that time.
Hard times indeed.....

Just Blue

Blue Meanie,
Staylor
I also hope that my girls never fall on hard times. But if they do...They know how to help themselves...

I am blessed with children that would not need me to post their legal situation on the internet for them...Thanks for your good wishes!.:)

peachgranny

I understand completely. As soon as possible, he can login and ask questions/provide information himself.
I found this site today and just hoped to be able to offer him a little reassurance.
I will tell you that I've watched them get by on very little these last couple of years and hold onto their house when many others have lost theirs to foreclosure. The financial strain has taken a toll on them both I'm afraid.
Thanks to all.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
He can use my computer anytime....there are transportation issues right now
which will all be worked out in time. The child support is just something he was very concerned about.

The answer specifically regarding child support is due after being ordered by the court is helpful - thanks. As long as he isn't in violation of anything right this very minute - it will all get worked out. It's only been a few days, but she already wants to know where her money is**************

By the way, he worked for 14 years and much of that she was a stay at home mom, or worked part-time. He was a successful self employed stone mason most of that time.
Hard times indeed.....
Then Mom can expect to have primary physical custody awarded to her and more than likely joint legal custody for them both. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">