• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elise34

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV
Received child support order from the court. It lists what NCP is to pay each month. Says until garnishment is set up he pays 1/2 payment twice a month. Lists the amount he pays as 962 per month. The part I don't understand is that it says I was awarded a decretal judgement for reimbursement child support in the amount of xxxx. How is this amount paid? Are his wages attached? Is he supposed to pay it to me himself? How is this enforced?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV
Received child support order from the court. It lists what NCP is to pay each month. Says until garnishment is set up he pays 1/2 payment twice a month. Lists the amount he pays as 962 per month. The part I don't understand is that it says I was awarded a decretal judgement for reimbursement child support in the amount of xxxx. How is this amount paid? Are his wages attached? Is he supposed to pay it to me himself? How is this enforced?
just so we can clarify...you were set with a monthly amount of $962. he was ordered to pay half twice a month.

was this through the state's child support services? or through your family custody case?

if payment of the ordered arrears was not addressed, then he can pay as little or as much until the debt is paid while accruing interest on that amount in the meantime.

if you want, you can take it back to court to request a payment plan for the arrears. and that will be attached to any garnishments that is ordered out if any. makes it easier for tax refund garnishments.

elise34

just so we can clarify...you were set with a monthly amount of $962. he was ordered to pay half twice a month.

was this through the state's child support services? or through your family custody case?

if payment of the ordered arrears was not addressed, then he can pay as little or as much until the debt is paid while accruing interest on that amount in the meantime.

if you want, you can take it back to court to request a payment plan for the arrears. and that will be attached to any garnishments that is ordered out if any. makes it easier for tax refund garnishments.
Yes that is correct. It states until wage attachment takes place he is to split the payments up (twice a month)and send a check. It was done through the state (child support services/family court). In cases of people I know- they always just tack on the back support to the current garnishment. They might make them pay $100 more a month till the back support is paid off. So I would have to go back to court to have them order this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">