• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Question Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zappertx2005

What is the name of your state?
I live in the state of Texas

I have 2 boys ...the father and I were married and seperated in 1994..the boys stayed with me...
A child support order was made in 1994 for the father to provide support for the boys..
He never paid any amount at all...
Decemember 2003 the boys went to go live with their father.

Finally after they were living with their father..I recieved aprox..$300.00 in child support from their father.. I haven't gotten any more to date

He to date owes over $30,000 in back child support...
I had any new child support stopped from the date I handed over the boys to him...

Now he is taking me to court suing me for child support from the time he has the boys...
My question is ...if he still owes me $30,000 and can not keep a job in order to repay this amount...do I have to pay child support??? He owes me so much money and I feel that I for all those years provided for my children..and now I am being suied for child support when all the years I had the boys he never payed anything at all

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He's certainly entitled to file for support, since the kids live with him. However, you could ask the court that any support the judge awards be offset by what he owes you. Whether or not the judge will do so is impossible to predict.

MtnMoon

It would be highly suggested that you consult with an attorney about this. Since the children reside with your ex, he may file for child support from you...regardless of whether he owes you money or not. Whether or not the judge allows it is another story. What might happen is that whatever he owes you may be reduced by whatever child support the judge orders you to pay. To be sure of your rights, consult with an attorney. You might also try contacting Child Support Services and get some input from them. They might point you in the right direction.

Hope some of this helps!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">