• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and Re-Marriage NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtrochelman

What is the name of your state? New York

Has anyone encountered the outcome of child support after re-marriage. I am a non-custodial mother who pays child support and earns significantly less than the custodial father. I am re-marrying and do not want my future husband to fall responsible financially for my children as he earns even less than I do. Can his income be considered to increase my child support payments?

What if I decide to have another child and stay at home?

Just Blue

dtrochelman said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Has anyone encountered the outcome of child support after re-marriage. I am a non-custodial mother who pays child support and earns significantly less than the custodial father. I am re-marrying and do not want my future husband to fall responsible financially for my children as he earns even less than I do. Can his income be considered to increase my child support payments?

Your new husband will not be responsible to support your children...and if the ex remarries his new wife won't be either...

You will still be responsible for the child support payment that is due. Even if you went to court to modify the order, you are voluntarily unemployed. Your new husband's income could be used to pay your child support for you but he is not obligated by court order to pay it~only you are.

If you want to have another child and be a stay at home mom you will still need to figure out how you are going to pay your child support. Perhaps a part time job?
Good Luck.

nextwife

A VOLUNTARY unemployment will not be grounds to modify CS. NCPs don't have the option to simply decide they'd rather stay home with children from a subsequent relationship instead of supporting the child with the other parent.

You are free to provide your child a SAHP, but you still need to pay the CS.

So either save up a while and pay out of savings while you are staying home,

or

Have you husband pay for you, and you stay home

or

Have your husband be the stay at home parent, and you work and pay cs

or

wait to have another child until you are nearly done with your CS obligation. We did the later, became parents when my husband was nearly done paying CS.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">