• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Readjustment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skeem

What is the name of your state?Florida
I recently received a letter from the child support division informing me that my 12yr old daughters mom is requesting more money. I have acquired a wife,
a 15yr old stepson, a 2yr old daughter and a home since we last went to court.My wife and I share all the expenses.
When filling out the requested information,do I provide to the courts the portion I pay towards the mortgage,utilities,etc...or the total amount both my wife and I pay to support my families living conditions.

Phnx02

skeem said:
I recently received a letter from the child support division informing me that my 12yr old daughters mom is requesting more money. I have acquired a wife,
a 15yr old stepson, a 2yr old daughter and a home since we last went to court.My wife and I share all the expenses.
When filling out the requested information,do I provide to the courts the portion I pay towards the mortgage,utilities,etc...or the total amount both my wife and I pay to support my families living conditions.
You state what your total monthly mortgage and untilities payments are.

skeem said:
I have acquired a wife,
a 15yr old stepson, a 2yr old daughter and a home since we last went to court.QUOTE]

sorry I can't help it. And where did you acquire these things? A little shop at the mall?

Sorry I don't mean to make fun include the total cost for everything including if your state allows it a reduction of your income due to care of another child (as long as the child is biologically yours) you can't "claim" the step-son but you are responsible specifically for your bio children and in AZ they allow you to reduce your gross income by that amount. Good Luck

Gracie3787

skeem said:
IMPORTANT QUESTION- Was the existing CS order issued in Florida?- If not, was jurisdiction changed to Florida by a change of venue?

If the order is in another state, that state's laws will apply, however, if the order is in Florida then Fl. laws apply.

The following applies ONLY if order is in FL. :

1. CSE cannot just send you a "letter" to change your CS.
In FL. the party seeking a modification (CSE and ex) MUST : File a PETITION with the court- SERVE you (by PROCESS SERVER) with a copy of petition, a summons, a copy of your ex's financial statement and a copy of any and all existing orders. ( a hearing must be held before any change in CS is made.)

2. Are you filling out a Florida Family Law Financial Affidavit short form?
if so- under section one for wages, salary- list onlyyour earnings from your main full time job . (Don't list any earnings from second job, will be explained later).
Under section for allowable deductions, list the cost of any health or dental ins. that you pay for your wife or subsequent kids only-do not list cost of ins for your 12 yr old daughter. Example-if you pay for ins for 4 people including your 12 yr old you would list 3/4 the total cost under deduction. HOWEVER-
Under the section for expenses- you would list ONLY your 12 year old's portion of ins. under Children's Health Ins.
Also, under expenses, list the total household cost of mortgage, utilities and food. Under all other expenses list ONLY YOUR personal expenses (and any that YOU pay for your 12 year old). This is very important- DO NOT list any personal expenses for your wife, her son, or your 2 yr old. IF you do- they can legally ask about your wife's income.

3.The court couldn't care less that you have a wife and other kids and in Fl you are not allowed any deductions from income for thier expenses. HOWEVER- the good news is that Fl does allow a NCP with a second family to have a second job and the earnings from that ARE NOT included in figuring CS.

I hope this helps, but as I said, if the order isn't in Fl you will need to find out which laws apply. Also, I almost forgot to add that in some cases a "readjustment" can be done without going to court IF all parties agree on the increase or decrease.

skeem

Thsnks Gracie for your help. I will do as you say and let you know what happens.By the way,what is NCP?

nextwife

And NO income of the SPOUSE of the NCP (non-custodial parent) is subject to CS!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">